The Party

The day of the party had arrived.

You didn't start getting ready until about two hours before the invitation's start time. Emily came over to help you zip up your dress and keep you company while you got ready.

You decided to leave your hair down with a thick wave to it - pulled back and pinned up on one side. Your eye makeup was a bit darker tonight and you went for a dark red stain on your lips. You added some black stoned earrings and matching bracelet. You looked beautiful, even to yourself.
Emily sat smiling, admiring you as you spun around in your dress. You felt bad that she couldn't come as well.
"I wish you could be there. Then I wouldn't be so nervous."

She smiled back. "Well, as much as I'd love to get all dolled up and go to one of these. I don't think I'd like it once I was there. I'm too peppy for these snobs! No offense!" She began laughing.

You chuckled back. "Yeah, sure - haha - none taken! I mean, I'm not really sure I fit in with these people either."

"Nah, you do a little. You were always meant to be a 'higher up' Plus...Jack seems to like you enough."

You smiled back. "Eh, well I don't know about 'enough' He just likes having someone that can actually do their job." You chuckled out.

Emily smiled back and glanced at the time. "Oh my gosh! You need to get going! The party started nearly 15 minutes ago!"

Your eyes snapped to the time. "Oh shit!" You grabbed your echo band and checked yourself in the mirror one more time. "Will you-"

"I'll make sure your door is locked when I leave, yes. Now go!"

"Thank you!" You yelled as you ran (as best you could in your heels, thankfully you decided on shortish ones) to the fast travel station.

You appeared in a large open room. Many nicely dressed people were standing around and talking.
"Right over there for security, ma'am." You heard a voice next to you. Your turned your head to see a guard pointing over to a security checkpoint. "Have to make sure you're on the list."

You thanked the man and headed that way. After a short line of people, you stood in front of a retina scanner. The light of the scan appeared and a green light dinged somewhere near you. "You're good to go. Right this way, Miss." The man running the scanner pointed to another man a few feet away. You walked over to him. "Have to make sure you're not carrying any weapons. Just walk through this arch, please." You did as the man instructed and heard a similar ding. The man nodded and pointed you towards some large doors. Two men, on either side greeted you as you walked up to them. Simultaneously, they each opened a door.

You stepped into an enormous open room. Where you stood was a wide walkway that overlooked the ballroom below. Each pillar was wrapped in golden fabric and twinkling lights. Glints of falling golden confetti could be seen falling from the ceiling every few minutes. A large chandelier hung in the middle, eye level with the upper walkway. You noticed a large staircase leading from the walkway to the ballroom. It's railings also wrapped in golden ribbon and string lights. The decor was absolutely gorgeous. It looked beyond rich. Hyperion definitely knew how to throw a good looking party.
You made your way over to the staircase. Holding the banister as you slowly made your way down. You scanned over the sea of faces that had arrived before you and were now mingling below. No one stuck out as familiar. Once you reached the bottom step, you moved to the side of the stairs to stand and watch, out of the way.

The room was full of wonderfully dressed people. Everyone looked wealthy. You stood, twirling your thumbs around each other as you watched people walk by. You noticed a few couples dancing in the middle of the room. It seemed everyone gathered around the large exterior part to give room for anyone who did want to dance. The music was nice and sounded classical.