4

•••••
-E-
•••••

These past days without Zori have been

These past days without Zori have been...hard. I've gotten to know Carly more. It's been fun and all, but I miss my best friend. I miss my Zo. We need to go to the beach again. Our best days have been at the beach.

I've seen her social media. Her and Bryce have been inseperable. It was... new.

I rarely saw her at school during these couple of days. However, I found myself picking up my phone 300 times a day to text or call her. I never noticed how much I talked to her until I couldn't anymore.

It's Saturday though, a rare game day for high school football. This is literally my only excuse to hang out with her. I had to end this break.

I arrive at her house, and ring the doorbell. Her father opens the door, "Evan! How ya been? It's been a while."

"3 days to be exact, Mr. Ramos. Is Zori here?" I ask stepping into the house.

"Yeah. I'll get her for you." He walks to the end of the staircase. "Zori, hay alguien aquí para ti. (Zori, there is someone here for you.)"

"¿Quien? (Who?)" Zori yelled from her room.

Her dad raised his eyebrow at me, "¿Importa? (Does it matter?)"

"Sí, sí importa. Bryce está en el juego. Entonces, ¿quién es? (Yes, it does matter. Bryce is at the game. So, who is it?)" She said as she got closer to the stairs. I don't know what I was hurt by, but I was. I couldn't really understand her, but I figured she thought it was Bryce and not me.

Her footsteps came down the stairs slow, and when she saw me.. the look on her face was so neutral it stung. "What are you doing here?"

The words stung even more, "I'm here because I miss you, Zo. I want to go to the football game, but I didn't wanna go without you."

Zori looked back at her dad who got the hint and excused himself to the kitchen.

"Evan." She sat down on the steps. "You don't wanna go with me. You wanna go see Carly and you just don't wanna do it by yourself."

Okay, that ripped my heart out. Why didn't she think I genuinely wanted to hang out with her?

I sighed and sat next to her on the stairs, "Zo, I miss you. Yeah, I wanna go to the game, but even if we just sit on these stairs for hours.. that's okay too."

"Okay, I guess." She nudged me with her shoulder.

I handed her a red Cape Valley tank top and nudged her back. "Hurry up and get changed."

20 minutes later, Zori came bouncing down the stairs in the t-shirt. some ripped baggy jeans, and platform Converses. "Okay, let's get this over with."

"I love the enthusiasm, Zoriana." Her dad said. He held out a plate of beignets for us, "Each of you take one for the road."