7

••••
-E-
••••

I watched Zori as she walked to the trash and dropped the box in there. It was all the stuff Carly cleared out of my locker to make room for her stuff. A lot of it had been Zori's and she was upset. In order to avoid her wrath, I said she should give it back to Zori.

Carly walked back to table, visibly unsatisfied. She sat down on my lap and sighed out, confirming her disappointment. "That was not as satisfying as I thought it was gonna be. Zori didn't care and Bryce called you a loser."

"Zori didn't care?" I asked, and she shook her head confirming something I already knew. Zori wasn't the least concerned about our friendship. She had let it go and that pissed me off.

The bell rang, making Carly hop up and place a quick kiss on my cheek and run off with Macy. I turned round to Zori, witnessing Bryce kiss her lips quickly. Suddenly, it felt like the wind had been knocked out of me.

Their exchange made me want to gag at how sweet it was, but I couldn't help but stare. When Bryce walked away from Zori, my stares lingered on her. She must've felt my eyes on her because she turned in my direction. Her reaction to our eyes meeting was more of  disgusted due to her rolling her eyes harder than anyone has ever done before.

••••

After school, I went to straight to the locker room, changed for practice, and headed to the soccer locker room. I was more than ready to practice and wanted to get a few drills in before actual practice.

"Goal!" I heard Bryce's voice boom from around the corner. When I finally saw what was causing his outburst, my heart stopped beating for a millisecond. I observed Bryce run to her and pull her into a hug sweeping her off her feet.

When he set her down, he didn't let go. He held her in his arms like she belonged there.

I walked closer to hear their conversation. They talked for while, about the field being peaceful. He said some corny joke about the field being his dance floor, and she joked back about him being a better player than dancer.

"Ohhhh, so you have jokes?" Bryce threw out rather loudly, and threw Zori over his shoulder, gaining a squeal from her.

No longer being able to stand it, I'd decided to ise my captain's privileges to stop their moment. I charged the field quickly and yelled, "Non-players off the field."

Bryce smacked his teeth, putting Zori down and yelled back, "What? Practice hasn't even started yet."

"It did when you stepped on the field." I said as I stepped on the field. I stared at Zori directly, "Off the field...now."

Bryce started to charge at me, but Zori put her arm out to atop him. She sighed, "I'll go. I'll be up in the stands."

Bryce nodded at her and escorted her to the fence. He bumped me as they walked away, and all I could do was roll my eyes in response. Twenty minutes later, Coach was on the field, telling us to start warm-ups.

Warm-ups went by slowly. I kept finding myself looking over at Zori in the stands, who was looking at Bryce. I was grateful when Coach started passing drills. That was until he paired me with Bryce.

I avoided giving Bryce the ball every time we went. It was probably why Coach kept making the team run the drill. Coach told us to try it one more time, and I started down the field. A minute later, the ball was being kicked from under my foot by Bryce.