5

•••••
~z~
•••••

Bryce stood with me in the parking lot, "You know you don't have to wait on Evan. You wanna go to Crazy Charlie's? With me?"

"Um.." I look at Evan who was whispering something in Carly's ear while they held hands. I looked back at Bryce. Here's my moment to break the cycle, "Yeah, I would love to. I should let Evan know I'm leaving though."

I reluctantly walked over to Evan and Carly, who were clearly so absorbed in each other, they didn't hear me walk up.

"Hey, um, I'm gonna catch a ride with Bryce to Crazy Charlie's." I practically shouted to him, before attempting to turn back around.

Evan turned quickly with a confused face, letting go of a displeased Carly. He grabbed my arm lightly, "No, you can ride with me."

I sighed. "No. I'm going to catch a ride with Bryce."

"Zo, seriously.." Evan said, trying to pull me back in.

Carly scoffed loudly, "She said no, Evan. Let her go."

Evan let me go, and I turned to see Bryce had moved closer to us. I walked to him with a small smile. He returned it with an even bigger one. "We all set?"

I nodded, "All set."

He turned his back to me, "Hop on."

"Umm.. okay." I put my hands on his shoulder and hopped on his back.

Bryce walked us swiftly to his car and put me down opening the door for me, "After you."

I slid into the car, taking a look around as if something had changed since the last time I had been in it. Bryce got in the moment I noticed the picture of us tucked into a wedge of the radio, making it stick straight up. We took that on my polaroid, the first time we rode to school together.

I take it out of its place and admire it. I turn it to him, "In the car? Really?"

He started the car and smiled, "I love that picture. It's one of our core memories. Even when you're not in the car, it still feels like you are."

I leaned back in my seat, trying to once again control the butterflies he just gave me. We drove 10 minutes to Crazy Charlie's.

Crazy Charlie's was an auto-shop that was repurposed into a restaurant. It had garage-like doors and a huge parking lot. It was also had drive-in services and a lot of outdoor seating. It was a popular spot in the area, but especially for students at Cape Valley.

We get out of the car, and walk inside to the large dining area. I took a seat on one of the stools and watched Bryce search for something. He looked over the counter and grabbed a bell.

"Uncle Charlie!" Bryce tapped the bell on the counter rapidly. "Uncle Charlie, you back there?"

"Charlie is your uncle?"

"Yeah. My mom's brother." He responded, as he continued to ring the bell. "Uncle Charlie!"

Crazy Charlie came out of the back, smiling as always. "Brycey boy! How are you?"