ELANE I

Elane has always the best of them; she was kind and clever, a flower among thorns 》

*:・゚ ✧

Highschool has always been a living hell for Elane, but after the summer that just passed, even walking through those gates gave her chills down her spine. Each step she took made her aware of the eyes on her and people's whispers were ringing in her ears. Elane pushed past the crowd, refusing to make eye contact with anyone as she made her way to her locker.

I can be strong, she thought.

Her locker was right across the Language Arts classroom. She struggled with the lock for a few seconds before it came off, and the usual 'Dave was here', 'R+T' and 'Lauren West is easy' were staring at her, causing a smile to make its way on her lips. The scribbles of graffiti were perhaps the only thing that hasn't changed for her since the last time she set foot in this school.

She took the long way towards her classroom, and that involved climbing the fire exit stairs. But even there, she wasn't alone. Roman Godfrey had blue green eyes that didn't smile when his mouth did. Those eyes were staring into her soul, making her feel naked, exposed. She listened to the little voice in her head that told her to be strong.

A whiff of cigarettes and alcohol filled her nostrils, along with a sweet scent of cinnamon and cologne as she walked past him. How could he drink and smoke all the time and still smell so nice? She had never spoken to him, and yet she knew him - everyone knew him actually, as either the rich Godfrey kid or the fuckboy who screwed half the girls in the school and who knows how many others..

As she closed the door to her locker, her eyes landed on Shelley Godfrey. She was the youngest of the Godfrey offsprings, and by far the ugliest. All that god had given Roman and Letha, he had denied Shelley.

She was so tall her head almost brushed the ceiling. Her hands were bandaged and she was walking very slowly on her heavy legs. A brown eye peered out from under a lank full of hair so dark it almost shined. The other eye was hidden by a thick strand of the same black hair, and when Elane looked at the girl all she could see was sadness. Sadness and a goodness that was too pure for this world. The few times she had spoken to her, she had been fascinated by her honesty and gentleness. And now more than always, she needed a friend. Especially since Tatiana graduated last year and Oscar was at home, recovering from the trauma that night gave him. Probably she would be doing that too if she were at home that night. But no, she had to go to that party and drag Tatiana with her. Maybe their presence would have made a difference.. maybe Father wouldn't have died if they were there. He was not a good man, but a part of her still loved him.

"Hey, Shel. What's up?" She asked cheerfully, slowing her pace so that she could have the same rhythm as the girl. Shelley smiled and waved a bandaged hand at her, making a guttural sound. She took out her phone and typed, then an electronic voice answered her.
"I am sorry about your father." Shelley gave her an apologetic look and she smiled with sadness.
"Bad things happen all the time, dearest Shelley." A moment of silence passed.
"Would you like to come to my house to hang out after school?" the electronic voice spoke again. Elane would've liked to hear the girl's real voice.
"Of course." She smiled at her and she could see a small part of Shelley's face glowing blue. The sound of a male voice behind her broke her out of her thoughts.

"Hey, sis." She looked up to see Roman Godfrey's pretty face and she contained the urge of rolling her eyes at the rich boy. His sister was a lovely person, and even if she didn't know Roman, the cunning of his look didn't inspire her trust.
"So, I'll see you there, right?" After the girl nodded Elane locked eyes with Roman for less than a second before turning away.