One Step Up

Like any other Saturday nights, Freddie and Jim were cuddling up in the couch in the great house, Garden Lodge. The night was quiet except for the television that was playing one of Freddie's favorite films. It was a romantic one. 

They were talking about how much have changed since the time they started dating. Freddie and Jim had made their relationship public since 1991. Freddie and Jim had been cured of AIDS, thanks to the advancement of medical science. Freddie had co-founded a foundation for AIDS awareness, conducted a concert to raise AIDS awareness and funding for the global battle against HIV/AIDS called The Phoenix Trust, along with Brian, Roger and Jim Beach after his close call with AIDS. 

The world has been kind to them after their long struggle. They needed everything they have ever wanted. Two family homes in England and Ireland, their fur babies and so on. It has been a good year for the band too. Family, relationships and career was going well for the boys. Brian was dating actress, Anita Dobson, who has become very close friends with the Mercury-Hutton household. Roger welcomed his fourth child just last year, Tiger Lilly Taylor with Debbie and John was having the time of his life with his wife Veronica and his six children. 

The band was in the preparations of releasing their album called, "Made in Heaven", which was yet to be released later this year. 

 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *    

The clock struck midnight

"Happy Anniversary to us, my dear", said Freddie to Jim kissing Jim on his cheek.

"Aw! Happy Anniversary, my love", replied Jim with a kiss to Freddie's cheek, "10 years! What would I have done with you?"

"You'd have been waiting for me, darling", said Freddie

"I need to tell you about something, Freddie", said Jim.

"What is it, darling?", asked Freddie facing Jim.

"I have been thinking all our friends are moving forward family-wise and we're not getting any younger, are we?", said Jim.

"What are you getting at?", asked Freddie cutting out Jim mid-conversation

"I'm saying since we already went public on our relationship and everything. I think it's time for us to have an addition to our family.", said Jim, "And I don't mean adopting another kitty", as Freddie opened his mouth to say something.

"Alright. I can't say I haven't thought about us raising a child together. But yes, I think it's time we became parents too.", said Freddie smiling and hugged Jim.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Later that evening, the couple enjoyed a romantic dinner date at their favorite restaurant. They have planned to go with adoption even though they had an option of surrogacy which was gaining popularity around the time.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * 

The legal procedures were hectic since the parents were both of the same sex. But eventually, the papers went through and the couple were in the list finally. 

Two months later, during lunch, the phone started ringing. Phoebe ran to attend the call

"Freddie, Jim, you guys have a call from the adoption center", Phoebe said jumping up and down. Freddie and Jim held hands and looked at each other. They immediately rushed to the room where the phone was and put it on speaker. 

"Hello", said Freddie

"Am I speaking to Mr. Freddie Mercury and Jim Hutton?"

"Yes", they said in unison.

"My name is Leslie Morgan and I'm calling from the adoption centre. And I'd like to inform you that a parent has selected you guys to be the parents. I'd like you you both to come down here on Friday around 4 p.m. That is okay, yes?", said the officer.

"Yes yes, thank you very much, Leslie.", said Jim

"I'll see you on Friday. Good day", said the officer cutting the call.

Jim and Freddie were beyond excited to hear the news. But they decided not to share it to the people outside the household already. Hence, they celebrated in silence within the household.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Friday came faster than expected. And the interview went smoothly even though the birth mother was starstruck seeing Freddie. She was a such a sweet kid, she was only 18 and her name was Kate and she is due in November and she was expecting twins. Freddie and Jim even invited her to stay with them so that they could provide for Kate, but she politely refused. 

Everything turned out so well. Freddie was beyond happy and had already started shopping for the kids even though there was 2 more months till the due date. 

Jim decided to build a changing table for the babies in this period. Freddie was all over the place decorating the baby's rooms, buying all kinds of toys and newborn clothes for the babies.

They maintained regular contact with Kate and even invited her over for lunch or tea a few times. Freddie made sure she had everything she needed. She was invited for Freddie's birthday dinner party.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * 

It was November 24th, when Freddie and Jim were having breakfast with Phoebe and Joe in the kitchen discussing about the newly released album when the house phone ring. Around this time, Freddie and Jim made sure that one of them stayed home so that they wouldn't miss the call and every phone bell they hear tensed them up for the same reason. This time it was from the hospital notifying that the babies would be here very soon.

Freddie and Jim were beaming with happiness. They held hands and looked at each other and Jim said, "This is it. We'll be coming back home with our children". They immediately rushed into the car. Mary has also joined the couple. The hospital was 2 hours away from Garden Lodge

Jim and Freddie went to see Kate and then saw the doctor who told them that the twins would be along soon enough. Freddie almost had a panic attack pacing along the hallway. Jim held his hands at all times even though he was tensed inside. 

A few hours later,

"Congratulations to you two.", said the doctor emerging from the labor room.

Freddie and Jim literally jumped from their seats seeing the doctor.

"Thank God", Freddie said, "When can we see our children?"

"You can come in now", said the doctor

As Freddie and Jim entered the room, they saw the nurse laying down a baby wearing a pink hospital hat in a crib. Jim noticed that the other baby also wore a pink hat.

"Can I?", asked Jim to the nurse laying down the baby.

"Sure, she's all yours", the nurse said carefully placing the baby in Jim's hands and correcting his hold. Jim's eyes welled up as soon as he held the crying baby and said, "Hey baby girl", he said rocking her, and his eyes filled with happy tears while Freddie leapt over Jim's shoulder to look at the baby who was now looking alternately at her dads.

"You wanna hold her, Freddie?", Jim asked. Freddie nodded and Jim handed over the baby to Freddie and told him to support her neck. "Oh they're perfect", said Freddie.  All this while, Mary was attending to the other baby and that's where Jim walked to. Mary handed over the baby to Jim. He waked over to Kate to check on her. 

The couple spent almost an hour holding the babies. The doctors came to take away Kate to her room and announced that the couple could take the babies home as soon as they filled out the forms for the birth certificates

Surprisingly, the twins had different hair color. The older baby had blondish hair, the boys decided to name her Lyla Hutton-Bulsara. The younger one had a black hair and they decided to name her Kathleen Hutton-Bulsara after their mother.