Nightmare

It has been exactly 1 year after the battle of Hogwarts took place. You, George and Ron had worked incredibly hard on keeping the joke shop up and running. You and your boyfriend George now lived in the tiny flat above the shop. Last year had nevertheless been hard on both of you. Since the battle you haven't seen George smile once and he never cracked a joke. He just wasn't the George you fell in love with anymore. Which you understood, but was really hard on you as well, since you felt that his constant bad mood was putting you down emotionally.  You and George went to bed early that night as you were both exhausted after a busy day at the shop. You were fast asleep when you jolted up. You were disoriented for a while but as you came to your senses you saw George sitting up in bed besides you. You realized it was George's scream that woke you. You looked at him in sympathy and asked if he was alright. He turned to you and you saw that he was crying. You engulfed him in a tight hug which led to him crying even more. The two of you sat there for a moment in silence. 

"I just saw it happening, all over again, y/n." He finally said softly. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, you are grieving George, this is totally normal, nothing to be ashamed of. Do you want to talk about it?" you responded.

There was a brief silence before George spoke up: "It's just that I'm thinking about all the things that happened. How I never really got to say goodbye to him. How I never told him I loved him, I really did, y/n. How we used to prank and how excited he would get when we thought of something new. How much work we put into the shop and how thankful we were for Harry giving us the money he won at the Triwizard Tournament to build up our dream. How we could just look at each other and know what the other one was thinking, I really miss that. I also realized that the only time we got to see each other at old age, was when we put our names in the Goblet of Fire. I just wish I had a TimeTurner and could go back in time to change it all, so we really could grow old together." 

You just nodded and kept holding him tight. You felt so bad for him. Fred was your best friend and losing him was the hardest thing you had witnessed in your entire life. So you could only imagine what George was going through. You believed a part of him died when Fred died. 

After another long silence George whispered: "Thank you. Thank you for keeping up with me, I know I haven't been the same since... I will try to better myself for you, y/n, I really promise. I love you."

"I love you too, gorgeous." You whispered back. 

The two of you went back to lie down again, but you knew you weren't going to sleep anytime soon. So you got up, held out a hand and said: "Come on!". George look at you in confusion but took your hand as he trusted you. You led him up the roof and told him all about the stars and planets and how they moved. It should be no surprise that Astronomy was your favourite subject at Hogwarts. You felt George's eyes on you but you just kept on talking until you noticed he fell asleep. You were relieved that your distraction worked and he was now sleeping peacefully next to you. You watched his chest rise and fall and you swear you could see a little grin on his lips again, which made you fall in love with him over again, knowing you were getting a bit of the old George back.