PARASÝRETAI STI THÁLASSA

~•~

~•~

It's been five days since the creature wrapped her wounds with the seaweed. Five days, adding up to nearly more than a week spent in the cave. Five days without any progress towards returning home. Five days of grief for her family. To Cally, it feels like five weeks.

Her days have been rather monotonous, consisting of a repetitive schedule that grows less appealing each hour, not that it was even appealing to begin with.

First, she eats the fish that is delivered while she sleeps. Second, she walks about her makeshift home to test her strength and massage her joints. Third, she waits for the creature to return with fruit. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Lastly, she uses her 'bathroom' before laying down against the back of the cave to sleep.

And then repeat.

She is surprised by how easily she has gotten used to eating the raw fish. She would normally throw up at the thought, but lately, she has been so hungry she nearly craves her daily fish with only being fed once a day.

She is a bit more comfortable with the creature than she first was. His occasional presence with fruit at midday doesn't startle her as much as it used to. Yes, she is still too afraid to speak to him, but she doesn't tremble and shake whenever he is near. He brings her food and doesn't attack her while she sleeps, surely that means he has no current intent to harm her, right?

She thinks back to when he put the healing seaweed on her wounds. That night's events caused many questions to manifest in her mind, one specific one bouncing around her head, forcing itself to be acknowledged. Why did he help me?

Sure, she was in a terrible state, but he was the one who put her in that state to begin with. His expression gave away no indication as to what might have been running through his mind. His eyebrows remained furrowed and his jaw set. She finds his behavior quite intriguing, yet all together beguiling.

Another question is who is he? Or better yet, what is he? Yes, she has seen documentaries and fairytales about mermaids. But she would not call him that, no. Monster or flesh eating sea creature describe him more accurately. He is definitely not some peaceful little mermaid looking for love. He looks more like a blood-sucking, flesh eating, bone crushing, serial killing, kidnapping monster.

She only wishes she had the guts to question him.

Its nearing dusk now, and a storm has been brewing, dark blue clouds assembling along the horizon. It doesn't seem as severe as the storm that her family was caught in, but it is certainly no passing shower. She calmly watches the clouds roll in and assemble as it grows, like an army preparing for battle.

Cally sighs. It is very silent in the cave, the only sounds being the ocean waves outside her little home, and the sound of her breathing. The creature never speaks, unless it's a one word command, and she is too afraid to talk to him. A part of her wishes he would speak more. What would he say? What is he like? She can think of loads of things she would ask him, but at the same time her fear still holds her mouth shut. Perhaps staying quiet is safer anyways.