AFXANÓMENES PALÍRROIES

~•~

~•~

Cally is awoken by a cool moisture lapping against her feet. She shivers, pulling her knees up towards her chest. She falls back asleep, shielding her ears from the thunder outside.

Once more she is awoken, this time by something splashing against her back, soaking her bare skin. Cally jolts into a sitting position, temporarily forgetting her injuries as the shock forces her awake.

She blinks her eyes open, only wishing she hadn't a moment later. The traumatic sight before her is one that reminds her all too well of the night she was taken. Thunder booms and lightning crackles across the night sky. The waves surge into the cave, splashing over the rocks and against the cave's walls with deadly force.

Cally scrambles back against the wall, the water rising higher and higher towards her.

Her small patch of land that was once plenty large enough to move around on is now a fraction of that size. Only her little bef is out of the water, the rest having been completely covered by the rising tide. Cold fear travels up Cally's spine as flashbacks of the storm that nearly took her life replay in her head.

Water.

Choking.

Screaming.

Pain.

Cally scrunches up against the wall, her body folding in on itself as fear wraps around her like a constricting snake. Whimpers escape her lips as she tries desperately to block the images from her mind--images that are becoming all too real again.

Her once deep breaths become useless pants as panic settles in. She squeezes her eyes shut and balls her hands into fists. Not again, not again, not again!

Her chest aches as she fails to take deep breaths, her head throbbing and her body feeling as if the very walls were holding her down and trapping her in a hell of their own. She might be able to swim if the water were calm, but not in this--no--not in this. She would die, impaled on the rocks, long before she made it to the cave's mouth, let alone into the storm.

The water steadily rises, the cool seawater lapping against her back and submerging her ankles. There is no dry land now. A scream escapes her lips as a bolt of lightning crackles through the night, the flash alighting the horror scene before her.

Up the waters rise, like demons reaching to grab her and take her into their haunted depths. Cally's entire body shakes and shivers, her breathing erratic and heart thumping wildly in her chest. Her nails dig into the stone wall, her forehead resting against the wet stone.

A giant splash washes over her, soaking Cally all the way to the bones. Broken sobs choke forth from her heaving chest as fear and despair take over. The dark sea nearly has her now. It will take her under--swallow her whole.