Chapter 1: Lonely Maiden, Troublesome Youkai

Author's Note: Hello there.

Welcome to my story. My name is Cutie-sama. I hope you enjoy the story.

On the cover you'll see two characters. The one with brown hair, a red and white outfit, and a red bow in her hair is Reimu, the human Shrine Maiden. And the one in the purple and white dress, blonde long hair, and a white hat is Yukari, the Youkai.

Dedicated to Ashe/Yin.

-----

The sun was gently setting itself beyond the mountains in the far off distance.

Reimu was alone again in the Hakurei Shrine, sweeping the grounds of little rocks, dust, and whatever else could have gotten placed within the Shrine.

The Lone Shrine Maiden is the single worshiper of the unknown god Hakurei. No one but Reimu is aware of this being in all of Gensokyo, a place within the modern world hidden from plain view. Such a place contains all manner of strange things. There are very few humans compared to the Fairies and Youkai that inhabit the city.

Reimu's single shrine is generally under scrutiny as a 'false god', and occasionally is attacked by Youkai. But, by Reimu's strength she is able to ward them off and make repairs to the shrine should it ever fall. It's fallen before, but she always returns to do her duty.

Tonight was like every other. Reimu tending to the shrine as the light from the city gently began to fade. The Hakurei shrine is on the outskirts of the city to avoid the volume and busy lifestyles most people live, as well as the dangers Youkai can bring.

Like traditional shrines, the area was put in a large opening between the trees. It was a large temple with decorative lamps, and an entrance Torii. A Torii is a red arch-way that signals the transition from the mundane to the sacred. As well, the area has a beautiful wooden finish on the floor complimented by specifically-designed carpets and wooden rugs with symbols to cover the floor. Off-set to the left within the large temple is a room which Reimu uses for her bedroom. It houses a queen-size bed, various tools Reimu uses to perform her duties like cleaning supplies and ritualistic items, and spare outfits.

However, as well-kept as the location is, it's a ghost-town. Or ghost-shrine. Rarely does anyone ever come, and most visitors come out of curiosity of rumors. Reimu treats them all as honored guests and followers of Hakurei, but most just leave after exploring what they can.

Today was like every other. After cleaning, Reimu returns to her room in the dark, alit only by a single candle. She was on her knees, sitting on top of her feet while placing the candle on an end-table next to her bed. She stared into the flame with a defeated look.

"Hakurei, today again no one came to pay respects to you. I am sorry." Reimu gently stated.

She put her hands together in prayer.

"In Hakurei's name, I say this prayer. Please forgive me, your lone Shrine Maiden, for failing to have the world acknowledge you, Hakurei. Please bring me peace and prosperity in my life." She stated, bowing her head then looking back up at the flame.

A gentle breath escaped her as she sighed.

Internally, Reimu felt shame. She feels like a failure for not being able to spread the word about Hakurei better. Her failures each and every day have led Reimu to feel bits of depression through her day, but she distracts herself with duties, telling herself that Hakurei will aid her if she's patient enough.

It doesn't stop her from feeling a gaping loneliness in her life, however. A feeling that wishes she could get rid of. Companionship, to have a friend. To have anyone by her side.

Before deciding to go to bed, Reimu gets up, heading to the various other rooms outside of the main praying location of the shrine. The location acts as a house with a public space for visitation, but since no one but her spends time in the shrine, it essentially acts as Reimu's entire house.