Chapter 6: Trust

Author's Note: Even though not many people read this, I'm just glad I'm making a few people happy with it.

-----

Reimu kept peeking over at Yukari's watchful gaze. It seems the Youkai's smug watch never looked away from Reimu's vulnerable, bullied state. 

"She's enjoying this so much, isn't she...?" Reimu thought to herself, feeling defeated and weak.

And if Yukari could read minds, she'd happily agree with Reimu's assumption.

Tired of just sitting at a table and being stared at, Reimu slowly stood up. 

"I'm going to...sit outside. I need some of the morning air..." Reimu stated, looking for just any excuse to get out of the awkward situation she found herself in. Yukari tilted her head to the right, her eyes not breaking from following Reimu even for a moment.

"Of course. Feel free to." Her voice was light, fluttery and free, as if she was playing along. That didn't really help Reimu's conviction about this decision. 

Reimu took her plate in her hands and quickly shuffled out to the porch, moving to the side of the porch as to avoid direct line-of-sight with Yukari. In hindsight that would do nothing considering the power of gaps Yukari had, but Reimu did it for peace of mind.

Alone with her thoughts in the quiet peace of nature, Reimu slowly stirred her food, unable to really eat and just poking at it nervously. Reimu just keeps failing to understand her feelings towards the situation. It's awkward and gives her anxiety yes, but she feels as if that's not entirely what's there. There has to be a few missing pieces at the least. Did she enjoy it? Was she glad to have Yukari around? Was she even enjoying the small teasing?

"...Why can't she just be honest? She's playing with me for some reason..." Reimu whispered to herself, unaware that Yukari is listening keenly with great curiosity. 

"Why would she kiss me...was it due to desire or because she just felt like doing such a random act? Usually such sacred actions are kept for someone you care much for, but that's just my own way of seeing it. Yukari's a wild card, she just does as she pleases. I can't read her face nor what she's thinking. And that's exactly what she wants..." Reimu stated quietly, hoping Yukari doesn't hear.

And what Yukari does completely hear makes her think as well. 

"Oh my, she is quite hung up about this, isn't she? I suppose I too should wonder how I feel. What does this little shrine maiden mean to me..." Yukari thought, purely in her head. "Reimu is a very strong opponent, able to give me a great and satisfying fight that no one can mimic. I respect her as an opponent. But...on the other hand, she's soft, gentle, and kind. A bit tsundere, closed off and cold, but that might be due to the treatment she's gotten while growing up." 

Yukari held her chin and smiled. A bit more thinking, and her smile faded.

"...Treatment she's gotten while growing up..." Yukari repeated in her head.

Something clicked inside Yukari's mind. This poor girl has been alone for so long! How long has she gone without a proper friend, nor companionship, love, or any of that human-contact stuff?

"What a loner." Yukari stated to herself in a bit of a frown. It's rather disappointing that someone as cute as this goes without friends. Being a servant to Hakurei must've been so boring without a good fight or friend for so long.

Yukari rubbed her chin in thought. 

"I feel like I should help, sorta. I...feel bad? It's new to me to pity someone in an honest fashion..." Yukari's new experience of pity may come from how she's been bonding to Reimu for a while, seeing her as just an opponent and more recently having her open up, seeing the more gentle and sweet side of Reimu as well as the pitiful life she lives.