twenty three

[ FRIENDS AND COMPROMISE ]

➣ [ FRIENDS AND COMPROMISE ] ➣

— ➣ —

ARYA HAD NO clue how long she'd been sitting on the roof of the truck she'd found, switching between throwing rocks at the cars around her like target practice and cutting designs into the peeling paint of the said roof. In the distance, she could hear the group's muffled voices and every now and then a loud laugh or shout.

She was tired. She was emotionally and mentally exhausted, but she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep no matter how hard she tried. Plus, what if they needed her for something? There was always something a human-angel hybrid could help with.

The sound of crunching rocks brought her from her thoughts, but she didn't look over and continued throwing rocks at her newest target.

"Unless someone is dying, please leave me alone."

The footsteps stopped beside her.

"Does dying of boredom count?" Marran answered.

Arya shrugged.

"Want some company?"

"Depends," her next rock made a hole in a car door, "are you going to lecture me?"

Marran crossed her arms, seemingly unbothered. "Now, why would I lecture you?"

Arya threw another rock, "There's always a lecture when people stand like that."

The blonde chuckled, rolling her eyes as she leaned on the adjacent car; a red Toyota Camry that Arya had kicked and in doing so may have left a rather large dent in the back door.

"Well, missy, I'm not here to lecture. Just wondering why you're sulking by yourself while trying to demolish cars with stones."

"I'm not sulking."

"Are too."

"Are not."

"Are too."

Arya huffed, hiding her face in her hands as she was unable to stop the smile that came to her lips at their stupid bickering.

"There it is," Marran smiled even though Arya couldn't see it.

They sat in silence for a while and the brunette stopped throwing rocks and instead looked up at the sky. It saddened her that she couldn't see many stars due to the thick clouds that were a constant in this world. That was one thing she looked forward to when she got back, being able to look up at the stars.