01 | Welcome to Derry

June 3rd, 1989

Stirring lightly, you groaned as your body uncomfortably adjusted to your new position— which was quite firm, compared to the lax one you took while you slept. Your mother's focus was hard-wired onto the steering wheel before her. After a moment, she noticed that you had arisen— some of her attention now transferred to your slowly awakening form. 

Her soft voice ringing out in your ears furthered you into awareness. 

"Well, look at that," your mother said with a chuckle. "The sleepyhead finally woke up. It's been two hours." She turned back to the road, one hand focused on ruffling your hair. You playfully swatted it hand away with a fleeting giggle.

"Ma, stop it." Your voice rang out with mock indignation as you lay your chin in your hands, your eyes zeroing in on the stretch of road ahead of you. This prompted the next question that slipped from your lips. 

"How far?" You asked, looking out the truck's large front window at the subsequent cars. A Coupe, a Sedan, a Mustang...

You were interrupted in your makeshift sightseeing when your mom spoke up cheerfully. "We're here!" She cheered, getting out of the truck. Her footsteps pattered against the pavement along the pathway to the door of your new home. You followed her out, nearly stumbling headfirst out of the truck. A laugh rang out from your mother, and you grinned. Her laughter was a welcome noise, seeing as how your mother was always so solemn. You couldn't exactly blame her, though— she'd been through enough. 

You were glad she seemed happy.

You and your mother worked together to bring in the myriad of cardboard boxes that held your belongings inside, your mother humming a tune as you performed your task in silence. Once you had finished transporting the boxes, you began to unpack what was inside, but your mother stopped you by grabbing the box you were currently pulling kitchen utensils out of. You jolted in surprise, paranoia setting in until you turned around to only see it was your mother. You sighed in relief.

"Mom, don't you want me to—"

"I'll unpack, hun, don't worry! I'll leave a few boxes for you. You just go meet the neighborhood kids— it'll be good for you." She smiled, though there was something a tad..off, about it. 

You couldn't put your finger on it, though, so it was disregarded.

You instead mock protested at the notion. In truth, you were glad your mother was doing the bulk of the work— maybe you could make some friends while you were out. It'd be nice to have a headstart on the 'friend' part of things here, anyway. The more friends you had, the less of a chance you'd be bullied. After all, who would hurt somebody with a big friend group? At your old school, you learned that was what could save your life.

So, you nodded. "Okay, ma. I'll be out if ya' need me!" With an earnest smile, you exited your small— but beautiful— new home with a spring in your step. 

You walked down the street, passing a few houses. Some were pristine, others dilapidated, and those in between. There were some convenience stores, a pharmacy, and a theater— the works, but not much else that drew your eye. That's when you felt somebody crash into you, and you subsequently fell onto the concrete sidewalk. A searing pain began spreading in your tailbone where you'd fallen. You were instinctively pissed off, even if it just might've been your fault for not watching your front, instead studying Derry's buildings. You groaned, your voice teeming with irritation when you spoke up. "Watch where you're going, dick face—"