His Other Self

[Spoilers for Book 3 Chapter 9! Read at your own risk!]

(Ooh this is one is gonna be good. ( ̄ω ̄) )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun sets on the barren kingdom of Askr. Our unit marches back towards camp, near where Sharena's flowers are. I'm still struck by the events of today, and my mind wanders. Just how fast did death sweep across this world? How long has it been since this alter kingdom came to an end? And Lif, no, Alfonse, how much pain has his heart experienced since he placed the blame on himself.

My pace slows as these thoughts fill my mind. This catches the attention of Alfonse, the one from our world. He stops and lets the rest of the group pass by so he can walk beside me. "You alright?" He caringly asks.

"Yeah," I promise. "I'm just thinking about this kingdom, and about your other self." I grimly watch the grass in front of me as we walk. "You've always had so much pressure put on you, both by others and yourself. You care about your people and have always been preparing yourself to become king. It makes sense that you wouldn't forgive yourself for an event like this, you care too much."

Alfonse takes a shaky breath. "You might be right. My alter self has gone through terrible things I can't imagine, his mind isn't in a good place." He stops, then grips my hand. His eyes turn from compassionate to focused. "Nevertheless, Lif is making extreme choices that endanger all of us, including you." He steps closer. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Don't worry, I won't let anything happen."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I awake in the middle of the night from an uncomfortable bed. Or perhaps my mind is just too restless to sleep. I listen to the dying embers of the fire as I rub my head. Heh. Feels like only yesterday we were liberating Muspel from Surtr's tyranny, now we're facing death itself. I wonder how much more fighting everyone will have to go through before this nightmare is over.

I rise from my bed of rocks and stretch. The stars in the night sky stare down at us peacefully. I breathe in the cool night air. Maybe I'll go to the bathroom and then try to go back to sleep. I pass Alfonse leaning against one of the travel packs, he's sleeping with his hand still rested on his sword. He must have dozed off during his watch. "Rest peacefully," I whisper. "You've been fighting the hardest out of all of us."

I relieve myself in the nearby forest. On my way back through the trees, I begin to feel uneasy. I don't remember the path being like this. The clearing should be just ahead. Crap, I must have been tired enough to not remember where I walked. I should be close, but the darkness of the forest grips me with fear.

A rustle from the bush. I freeze, heart pounding. An animal? I strain my eyes, searching around me. It's too quiet.

"Rraaarrgg!" I startle at the fierce yell, whipping my vision towards the pounding footsteps. My heart stops as Lif charges straight at me, sword unsheathed.

"Aah!" I try to run but stumble. His speed overtakes mine. A sharp hand grips me and turns me around, his blade stops right against my throat. I cast my terrified eyes up, his face is inches from mine. I feel the sting of the glowing blade against my neck and his cold breath against my skin. My heart beats fast. He's not moving his sword, he hasn't killed me yet. I stare at his face. Somehow, past the deathly pale skin, deep in his red piercing eyes, I find a small resemblance to the Alfonse I know.

Lif's eyes seem to shift slightly. His blade begins to shake. All at once he yells in frustration, pushing me away harshly and throwing his sword to the ground. I shift my stance and catch my breath. Lif buries his head into his hands, groaning angrily at himself.

"Lif," I gently call out to him.

"I can't kill you!" He grumbles. "It's the same as your world's Sharena, I just can't force myself to strike you down."

I don't run away, instead I take one hesitant step closer. "You said I existed in your world too, and that I died along with everyone else."

"It's true," he mutters. "The cursed rite took you away from me. I must destroy you in order to bring you back!"

"You don't have to do this," I speak to him like I'm coaxing a wounded animal. "You can talk to me..."

"No!" He shouts. "You're not her! You're the same person, but you're also not!"

"It's the same with you!" I retort. "You're not from our world, and you're fighting against us, but somewhere deep down is the same man I fell in love with!" I can tell he's shaking now. "You've changed so much, but you'll always be the Alfonse I care so much for."

I gasp as he leaps at me, but he doesn't strike. He embraces me tightly, squishing my arms into my sides. I feel his taller body press desperately against mine. His armor is cold as ice, but my heart feels warm. I relax my stiff posture, accepting his advance. His hug feels like he never wants to let me go.

The sound of unsheathing metal catches my ears. "Let her go." I hear Alfonse firmly order.

A growl rumbles in Lif's chest as he releases me. He swiftly picks up his sword and raises it towards Alfonse. "I will kill you yet," Lif coldly declares. He turns sharply and dashes back into the dark trees. I exhale abated.

"(Y/n), are you alright?!" Alfonse sheathes his sword and grips my shoulders with concern.

"I'm okay," I reassure. "He didn't hurt me."

"Your neck is bleeding."

I place a hand against my skin and feel the wet blood from the small cut. "You tried to kill me, but you wouldn't do it," I explain. "You... loved me too much."

Alfonse breathes softly, processing what I said. Then he gently places his forehead against mine. "I won't let you leave my side again."

"I won't." I close my eyes, reveling in the feeling of safety I receive from my love.

Alfonse holds my hand the entire way back to camp. After bandaging my neck he gives it a tender kiss. "Let's get you some sleep."

"You too," I request. "Let Anna take the next watch."

"Alright."

As I slip underneath the blanket another thought crosses my mind. "Alfonse?"

"Yeah?" He listens from his bed.

"When this whole thing is over, and we defeat Hel," I speak quietly. "I hope your other self is able to find peace."

He pauses, then responds "......I hope so as well..."

------------------------------------------------