Chapter Six

AURIANNA

I've been in my room since I came back home from the flower shop yesterday night and I haven't really seen Mom and Roe. They've been in the hospital with dad, they only came home occasionally to freshen up, eat and get food for dad.

My heart has been pounding since I got a text from Joe saying that he sent some money to my account for me to buy a plane ticket to Atlanta, Georgia. He said his boss wants me in his room this night. I mean, it's Sunday for Christ sake, doesn't he go to church or something, why will he want me in his bed tonight.
Sigh

I've been pacing in my room, Joe said I should be in Georgia by 4 O'clock and it's 12:28 here. I haven't packed my suitcase, I haven't told mom about my travel, do I even need to tell her? Yes, you do. You can't just leave without informing her, she'll be so worried. She has dad to worry about already, don't add to it!

I hate it when the voice in my head is right. If I use thirty minutes to pack my suitcase and freshen up, forty five minutes to go to the airport, two hours journey to go to Georgia, approximately I should be packing now.

I started to do just like I've planned. It took almost thirty minutes to pack and freshen up, now I have to inform mom. I tiptoed downstairs with my suitcase trying to reach the front door. I thought you said you are going to inform mom. Nah, I changed my mind.

I was just about to reach the front door before a voice stopped me
"And where are you going young lady?" I froze in my step. It took some seconds to regain myself and I turned to face the person.
"Uhm, nowhere" I tried to hide my suitcase behind my back which isn't doing much of the hiding.

"You're holding a suitcase Auri. Where are you going to?" Her face was stern
"What suitcase? I don't see any suitcase" Now is not the time to play dumb, she already knows, just quit it and come clean. Shut up!

"You know I'm not blind, right? Are you planning on leaving us? Even with your dad lying on the hospital bed?" She crossed her arm
"No mom, I'm leaving because of dad"
"I don't understand. Where are you going to?" Her demeanor changed

I walked closer to her and placed both hands on her arm
"Look mom, I have a job that will get me money for dad's treatment in no time"
"What type of job is that?" I can't tell her because I made a promise to myself and her. She'll be devastated if she finds out I'm breaking it.

"Mom, do you trust me?"
"Why are you asking me such question? You know I trust you" I saw a bit of worry in her eyes
"Then mom, trust me and let me go to where I'm going to"

She was silent for a while and I searched her face for answers. Will she trust me and not ask further questions? Will she let me go with the assurance that I have everything under control?
"When will you be back?"
"In a week time"
"OK"

"Is that a 'yes' I hear?" I asked with a grin
"Yeah" She rolled her eyes and I gave her a hug
"Thanks mom" I pulled away from the hug
"Just be careful Auri" She sounded worry
"Don't worry mom, I'll be with Joe" I gave her a tight lipped smile

"You're going to Georgia?" Her face brightened
"Yes mom"
"Wow, what a relief" she placed her palm on her left chest
"Mom! I thought you said you trusted me" I pouted my lips like a baby about to cry
"I do, but since Joe is there, he's gonna keep you on check"I rolled my eyes