VIII

Relief at once spread when The Lantern closed. Two newbie workers had been hired, in which Warren had to back them up from messing any orders. But that was only one part of his rough night. He liked his job, it brought home extra earnings that were needed. To help save for an apartment by the end of this year, after working the past two.

It just was not how he had hoped to spend, his night off. Mrs. Lee had still been sore with him, included, for that incident in the school cafeteria a week or so prior.

She needed to let it rest. What happened, happened but no. Never was it so simple, with her. Her husband once told that she lost their child, during her pregnancy. Cried over two months. All she ever did or sleep. When Dorian came into her restaurant, she admitted to her husband it was as if she had seen the child she hoped to have.

But he could not help the bitterness. The hatred.

Both families ruined his childhood. The last he could remember his father, had been the age of five. When he spoke about his day at school on Barron Battle's knee. And Mr. Red, White and Blue himself barged in. Mrs. Gray and Blue arrived no sooner, when his father was close to finishing Commander Stronghold off.

Shrugging aside those memories, he exhaled slowly. Feeling the fire begin to burn. The only time he halts in his walk home, was when he heard what sounded like that of slow breaths. And a sound that which resembled choking.

It came from an alley, where he could see trash cans all over on the ground. His eyebrow raised to smell something metallic. Rusted.

And that was when he saw, the breathless form of Dorian Talbot. His hair was a mess, in knots and coated in dirt. Blood encrusted the hair included. His lips were busted open as well, blood stained his teeth as they slowly part.

The hair was his give a way. "...Talbot?" he uttered.

His chestnut colored eyes look up at Warren's crouched form. "...Hey Peace. I...could use a hand here..."

"What the hell happened? Were you jumped?" he took hold, of Dorian's shoulder so light. A weak nod. "Want me to call the cops?"

Dorian shook his head. A whimper escaped. Slow and steady he is on shaken legs. Warren could see plain the damage inflicted, bruises embedded on either side of his face. His nose was busted and bruised. Turned at an angle.

"Okay...okay. I know how to adjust your nose, but you have to relax. Can you do that? I may hate your guts. But I'm not heartless."

He was given a nod. Closing his eyes, as gloved fingers are pressed down.

"One. Two...three." A quick shout escaped Dorian's lips, when his nose had been fixed into place. Tears looked as though they were to fall but none shed. "Now...should we-?"

"No. I...I think I gave them a pretty good scare. There's no need." He answered, breathless. "Home. I-I have to...my mom. She's worried. Ava-my sister she-."

"HEY." He forced Dorian to look his way. Hands firm atop his trembling shoulders. "You need, to keep it together, Talbot. You're in no shape to walk that far, when my place is just a few blocks from here. Mom'll understand, she's a doctor."

Warren noticed how tender Dorian's movements were. As if he were walking on glass. He kept close to him, that much he realized. Afraid to wander too far on his own. The way his eyes dart, this way and that.

The Peace residents lights were still on, at eleven pm. He knew his mother is still up and about, writing down her notes and what not. As soon as he brought Dorian in, Carla Peace looked over her shoulder. Her mouth agape, before she motioned Warren to settle Dorian on the couch.

"What on Earth-?"

"He was jumped."

"First call his mother, second go and bring me my materials."

She cleaned his face up with a warm, wet cloth. Very light over his wounds. Few questions had been asked, considering how it looked he could pass out any moment. The bump on his head concerned her, fears of concussion were present.

"Did you get ahold of his mother?"

Warren nodded. His eyes shift towards Dorian's battered figure. He could not explain why, his fingers trembled. They never had when he beat him around. "Yeah. She'll be here, soon. His sister's having a panic attack...Want me to watch him?"

"If you would...I know who he is, but Warren-."

"I know, I know. He needs help."

Carla smiled faint her son's way. Nodding in approval. "He needs a blanket to, keep an eye on him throughout the night. I'm not sensing any abnormality in his brain waves, I just want to be certain."

Dorian's out within moments, the second a blanket had been placed over. A soft whisper of a 'thank you' could be heard.

A/n: Here's a little bit of Warren in this chapter, my readers. I hope it's coming along at an okay pace for you, lately I've developed an appreciation for slow burn rather than jumping straight into canon.