Chapter 22

Amilia woke from her nap with a gentle knocking on the door. She waved a hand, and it opened. Dumbledore walked in. "I understand that you had a good session today." Amilia nodded. "Good, though I hate to be the bearer of bad news."

"What do you mean, sir?"

"Your trial is on Monday. The Unforgivable curses are not to be taken lightly."

"I understand, sir." Amilia looked at her hands. "Will it take long?"

"Honestly, I do not think so. The proof is in his wand, but I cannot make any promises." The Headmaster looked at her, "There is one thing."

"What?"

"If they show your Pensieve, your relationship with Severus will be exposed."

"Did he see anything? I am sure you have looked in his memory." Amilia's shoulders slumped.

"Yes, I did, and no, he did not."

"So it would be Severus's and I's word against his?" Amilia asked.

"In a way. I have my paperwork about the investigation. That would be brought in as evidence. Do not fret. Things will work out in the end." Dumbledore looked at her thoughtfully before leaving the room.

Amilia groaned and threw herself backward on the bed. It was going to be a long weekend.

Monday came, and Amilia was dressing the nicest clothes she had with her. Severus came to walk her to Dumbledore's office; he, Minerva, and Dumbledore were all summoned. The Ministry was going to leave no stone unturned. They each took a partner and apparated to the Ministry. Dumbledore led them to courtrooms. The room was filled with bleachers going up as high as the ceiling. In the center sat Ritchie, his parents sat behind him, glaring at Amilia as she came in.

"Now that everyone is here. Mister Clearwater, do you understand what charges have been made against you."

"Yes, mam, I do." Ritchie scanned the room, and his eyes fell on Amilia. She shifted in her seat and refused to meet his gaze. She looked over his shoulder at his parents. His mother was a mouse of a woman with hair to match. She was small compared to her husband, even sitting, he towered over her. His hair and eyes were the same dark brown. They two almost looked like they were made for each other.

"First, I would like to ask if you would tell us what happened."

"Amilia." Ritchie began.

"In this court, you will address her as Miss Hubbard, do you understand Mister Clearwater?" The woman sitting behind the large stack of papers interrupted.

"Yes. Miss Hubbard was supposed to meet me at Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop for our date on Valentine's day. She never showed up. So I went looking for her and found her and Professor Snape standing in front of the Prefects bathroom. They entered together." Ritchie scowled, all eyes darted to Amilia, then to Severus, who had chosen to sit in the row behind her. "The next day, I went to go find her again. I found her going up the hill near the Whomping Willow. I called after her to talk, and she started running from me. I then ran after her, and she got defensive. Pulled out her wand, I reacted defensively. Next thing I know, I see a branch from the Whomping Willow come straight for me."

Amilia glared at the boy sitting in the center of the room.

"Mister Clearwater, your wand had been examined, and it showed that you used the Cruciatus Curse."

Amilia watched the horror spread across his mother's face; his father, on the other hand, did not react at all. He sat there, still as a statue, trying his hardest to remain the pillar of strength for his family.