Chapter 48

Amilia stood in the middle of Dumbledore's office, her mouth hanging wide. It had been transformed. Along the sloped walls were racks filled with gowns in opaque bags. Jewelry sat upon his grand desk, shoes lined the first three steps of his staircase. Veils hung off of little clips that floated above the area. In the center of it all was a grand pedestal and an even more luxurious mirror.

Narcissa, Poppy, Minerva, and Albus emerged from somewhere in the organized chaos. "You made it!" Exclaimed Narcissa running up to Amilia. "I didn't know what style you wanted, so I requested a little bit of everything."

"As long as you included some lower-end items...to appease Severus," Amilia said shyly.

The others in the room gave her a look of disgust. "It is your dress! He does not get a say in it. If you happen to fall in love with the most expensive items, then so be it." Snapped Minerva, Amilia looked at her, frightened slightly. It was odd for her to sound that way when talking about him.

"You only get married once." Poppy blurted. "At least that is what you told me a few years ago."

Narcissa planted herself in Amilia's view, "Severus can go shove it where the sun does not shine. He is not going to put a damper on this part of the planning just because he cannot let go of his coin purse." Amilia's eyes grew wider; she found Narcissa's lack of decorum startling. Narcissa has always been one to use sharp words and her quick wit to show her disapproval.

Amilia plastered on a small smile, "Where do we begin?"

Narcissa stood behind the curtain with Amilia and the consultant. "So, how did you two meet?" The woman asked.

"I am not paying you for idle chatter." Narcissa said, "There meeting was unconventional."

The woman nodded, "This is one of our middle ground gowns. Price, of course, was stated not to be an issue."

"That is correct," Amilia confirmed. "Are you the designer?"

She chuckled, "No, my dear, I am just a woman who works at the shop." She turned Amilia around and flicked her wand. The curtain fell, and Amilia stood in front of the mirror. "Tell me what you like and do not like."

Amilia gazed at her reflection, she felt...off. The gown was so white it was like the first snow of the year. It glared in the light against her skin. It was sleeveless with some lacing making up the top portion above the sweetheart neckline. She could feel the buttons going down the center of her back and the appliques rubbing against her neckline. The dress itself flared at her waist...and she was not too sure about it. "I do not like the color. That is for sure.

"Is it too white?" Amilia nodded. "Well, let's get this mirror out of the way for the others to see." The mirror suddenly disappeared; Amilia was sure that there was just a cloaking spell on it that allowed it to become transparent. "Well? How does she look?"

The three sitting in overstuffed chairs looked at Amilia in wonder. "I like the style." Said Poppy.

"But that is not the right color." Albus mused, "Perhaps an off white?"

Minerva's calculating eyes darted all over the place, "You do not look happy in this."

Amilia nodded, "It does not feel right, and the lacy stuff is very itchy on my neck."

"Is there something that you do like?" Narcissa asked.

"I like the buttons."

"That is a start." The consultant waved her wand again. Up went the curtain.

Soon Amilia was in another dress. This time it was short, sitting right above her knees. It was a sheath with a crochet overlay. It was a high neck, just like the last one, but the yarn used was soft. "This color is ivory. Do you like it better than the white?"

"Yes." Again the mirror was gone, and she faced her Headmaster.

"You like you are going to the beach." Poppy giggled.

"I do have to agree." Narcissa stepped down and got a look from their point of view. "This would be a lovely honeymoon dress. But not for a wedding."

"Can I set this aside for the honeymoon?" Amilia turned to the woman. Now she got a good look at her. Her grey hair was pulled back into a messy bun, and her steel eyes were warm.

"Of course, honey."

"This is another short one." She mused. "It is one of our cheaper options."

Amilia looked in the mirror and her face puckered. The dress had no form to it, and it had embroidered flowers all over it, in the same color. It hung on her as if she were a clothesline. "This looks like a tablecloth."

"And, off it comes."

Now, she looked at this flowing item that hugged her waist. The sleeves were the same level as the neckline, right across the top of her breasts. They trumpeted out from the little cuff that was adorned with a silk bow. Across the bodice was a fish-netting with floral lace appliques that went down the front of her hip and ended at the top of the slit.

Down came mirror, "This gown is in a platinum color. It has a tie-up in the back and boning for support. It is crafted in tulle and lace with a train. So a bustle would be required."

Amilia stretched and smoothed out the fabric. "It looks like a nightgown. I do not want a nightgown for my dress."

"That is understandable. Let's get this off."

Several other dresses were tried on; Amilia was partial to a very glitzy gown that had stones that draped elegantly down her arms. Amilia was getting frustrated, as was Narcissa. She kept pacing and apologizing.

"Let's try on this last one. I have a great feeling." The consultant said. Amilia sighed heavily and stepped back onto the pedestal.

Over her head came this soft white sheath gown. It elegantly pooled at her feet, glancing behind herself, she did not see a train. Which oddly enough, thrilled her, "I would not have to bustle this one."

The woman chuckled, "No, you would not. Now, this is a very plain gown. So we can spruce it up with anything that you want."

"I have been eyeing something." Amilia glanced at Narcissa and pointed at one of the items folded neatly on top of a desk. It was brought over and unfolded for her to see. It was a beautiful cape that matched the ivory color of the gown. The inside was lined with silk, and the outside was embellished with beading, creating an intricate piece of art that shimmered in the light. Once it was set on her shoulders, the pads morphed to fit her perfectly. Amilia saw herself in the mirror and caught her breath. "Show them."

Minerva smiled wide and patted at her eyes with her handkerchief. Poppy sucked in a breath, and Albus stood immediately clapping. "Do you love it?" Minerva asked.

Amilia nodded her head. The consultant handed her a bouquet and placed a small cage veil over her face. "Now, you can leave your hair down or pull it up and have it curled. We can add some jewelry."

Amilia sucked in a breath as she saw the ensemble come together. "This is it."

The consultant let out a breath, "Fantastic. I'll get the ticket written up." Amilia nodded as if she was listening, but the words were not heard. She just stared at herself in the gown, feeling more like a bride than she ever thought she would.