12 | gargoyle kings? is this riverdale?

"Dr. Saltzman!" Celia yelled, not even bothering to knock as she charged into his office. "Dr. Saltzman, we need to get everyone on lockdown now. There's some stone beast on campus and he seems to be attacking anything that moves."

Dr. Saltzman didn't even bat an eye in her direction as he dug through his desk. 

"Dr. Saltzman, we need to do something."

Slamming his desk drawer shut, finally finding what he was looking for, he looked up at Celia. "Did it scratch you?"

Celia's eyebrows furrowed. "What? No. I jumped out of the way before it could."

"Good, good." He began to walk past her, clearly distracted by whatever was going on in his mind. Celia's eyes darted down to what he was holding: a knife. The same knife they used against the dragon. The same knife Landon stole. She grabbed his arm, finally causing him to acknowledge her. "Everyone is on lockdown with Emma, Celia. Now can you let me go so I can go deal with this?"

"Oh hell no, you're not going alone. Are you crazy?"

"Now is not the time to question my mental state."

It suddenly clicked. "It got one of the twins," Celia murmured to herself. Speaking up, she released his arm. "Let me come with you. If that thing is after the knife you're going to need backup." Besides there's no way I want to be the one to tell the twins that their dad was murdered by some stone beast when I had the opportunity to stop it, Celia told herself. At least this way she could keep an eye on him and the knife.

Dr. Saltzman held Celia's eye contact for less than a minute before caving. "Fine, let's go. And that thing is a gargoyle, and I think I know how to get it away from the school."

"Well good, at least then we can go into this with more of a plan that we did the dragon."

He scowled as the pair began to walk down the hall. "I wouldn't go as far as to say that."

A snarl down the hall grabbed their attention, snapping both their heads in its direction. Celia stopped dead in her tracks when she noticed something in one of the classrooms. The creature was massive, towering a good foot over Dr. Saltzman and about five Celia's wide. Both of its hands were clutching a sword as if it was protecting it. The gargoyles glowing red eyes were closed. She hoped whichever twin was attacked by it was okay. How it missed her was honestly a mystery.

Dr. Saltzman came up behind Celia, taking in the monster for himself. Out of the corner of her eye, Celia watched his hand tighten around the knife.

"Get back." The head of the school stepped between Celia and the monster.

"Dr—" he cut her off. Exasperation was written on his face.

"Please Celia. I've seen what this creature can do first hand. I'm not going to let that happen to someone else I'm responsible for."

She backed off but stayed a few steps behind as he approached the beast. Dr. Saltzman stood in front of the gargoyle for a long moment before attempting to stab it with the knife. The sudden movement from the gargoyle as it caught her professor's hand, caused Celia's heart to leap into her throat. From that moment on instinct took over. Celia threw herself between her headmaster and the creature, an act that was incredibly idiotic when she looked back at it because the creature simply swatted her to the ground like she was a fly. With a loud bang, Celia slammed against one of the tables into the classroom, sending the legs snapping underneath her.

"What were you thinking?" Dr. Saltzman chastised her, as Celia groaned on the ground.

"I was thinking I have super healing and you don't." She wanted her voice to come out strong, but she was sure it sounded me like muffled grunts.