23 | peter-pan and the lost girls

The music blared in what once was the great hall of the Salvatore School. The Twin's party was getting into full swing as the flocks of high schoolers entered the ring. One of the littles had told Celia earlier that the wolves had helped set this whole party up under Raf's leadership. She took note that he seemed to be wearing his power well. She wondered how much longer that would last.

Around her, teens started to dance. Not exactly in the festive mood, Celia really was just waiting for Josie. She wanted to thank the young witch again, wish her a happy birthday, and tell her that she was ready to do whatever plan Josie thought right. Of course, it took a few hours of Celia laying on her bed staring at the stars on her ceiling to decide that. Unfortunately, one of her littles told her that the twins weren't making their grand entrance for another fifteen minutes. Until then? Celia felt satisfied sitting in the sidelines.

"Celia?" No. He had two more days left on his suspension. He wasn't supposed to be here. She wasn't ready to face him again. She needed her defenses to be up more.

"Jed," she forced some sort of smile on her face as she watched him approach. From the look that came across his face, Celia guessed her smile was more like a grimace, though he took it with stride.

"You look beautiful." He shifted back and forth.

This time Celia was forcing the blush off her cheeks. Despite her indifference to the party, she dressed up for Josie. She was there to support Josie. "How are you here, Jed?"

"Emma thought my counseling sessions were going well, so when I asked if I could go tonight she said yes."

"Never took you as a formal dance kind of person."

"I could say the same to you." He shook his head. "Look I didn't come here to bicker with you. I asked to come here so I could apologize." The music around them shifted as a song Celia was all too familiar with began to play over the speakers. "This is still your favorite song, right?"

It was. When she was young, she would sing "Drops of Jupiter" to Maddie in times of comfort. She told Jed that one of the first days she got there, and somehow he remembered. There were no words to describe how she was feeling, all she could do was nod.

He smiled lightly before offering his hand. "Will you dance with me?" Taking his hand, she nodded again. Together they made their way onto the dance floor where all of their peers had already paired off.

"I'm sorry, Celia," he murmured as the two swayed on the dance floor. "There's no excuse I can say that can excuse my actions. I was so angry after I lost. I let my pride get the best of me and lost control."

Celia leaned in, resting her head on his shoulder. Though he was right, there was no excuse for what he did to Landon, she couldn't deny the fact that she knew where he was coming from. She had been in his shoes. She's pretty sure almost every triggered wolf has.

As the song ended, she stepped away. Though she didn't verbally accept his apology, she knew her actions told him all he needed to know. "I don't think I'm the one who deserves your apology."

Jed frowned. "Don't go asking too much from me now," he joked. "One step at a time."

He leaned forward, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. The whole ordeal caused an uneasy feeling to settle in Celia's stomach. The motion felt foreign coming from Jed.

"You would've been good at it, you know?"

Celia frowned. "Good at what?"

"Being alpha. If you had succeeded Noah like you were supposed to you would have been good at it."