Chapter 1 : New House, New Me

3rd POV

As the last person comes in carrying a box of your belongings and then heading out your front porch, you are finally alone. Phew. What a day. You managed to move everything into your new house (with some help), all your furniture and everything. As you sit in silence listening to the birds chirping you can't help but feel something watching you out of the corner of your eye.

You shrug it off and decide to walk upstairs into your new bedroom to get some rest. Throwing open the door and jumping onto your twin bed, you melt into the soft warm covers. Quickly, before you fall asleep you grab a hair tie and push your h/c hair out of your face (knowing it won't stay that way all night) , wash your face with god-knows how many facial creams and then doze off.

two weeks later

Finding a job at a local cafe wasn't hard, and you are working only part time hours for now, but it has a pretty good wage and some cool people who work there too. You've also managed to make friends with your new neighbour, and her name is Lydia. She comes over to your house to visit every few days and you have movie marathons together, and her all time favourite movie to watch is Legally Blonde. Once the credits started to show on the screen you spoke up, breaking the silence

Your POV

"Lydia, do you think we have a problem? This is like the 5th time we've watched this movie." I ask turning my head to face her.

"Y/N really it's totally fine. It's only bad once you memorise all the words." I grin and nod my head in agreement. "Anyways, it's getting late so I should get going. I'll message you tomorrow!"

We both say our goodbyes, embrace in a hug as she thanks me for having her over. As the door closes behind her the goosebumps creep up onto my skin and I slowly turn to face the attic. I wasn't the type of person to get scared or anything, but I just felt kind of uneasy about the attic. Now that I think about it, I've never actually been in there before! Guess I got distracted moving in and forgot all about it.

As my nosiness begins to get the best of me, I slowly creep up the stairs with the skull shaped key. I reach the top of the stairs and creak the old wooden door after unlocking it. Glancing over to my right after walking in, I notice a circular window that opens up to the roof.

While I stare out the window at the starry night I hear a noise from behind me, which sounded like a sneeze. Out of habit I respond "Bless you."

(My apologies if you don't like saying that due to your culture or beliefs.)

"Thank you." A woman replies with a slightly high pitch, but soothing voice.

It took me a second to realise I was speaking to someone else in my.. supposedly empty house. Swiftly twisting my head to face towards the lady, I notice a man also with her.

"You can see us!" The man says with slight excitement in his voice.

"Uh yes.. am I not supposed to?" I inquire, quite a bit panicked.

"Well no. This may take you by surprise but we are uh-" The man clears his throat then continues "ghosts."

My eyes widen in surprise and shock, and it takes a minute or two for me to understand (and believe) what they told me. I had read something about ghosts, somewhere in my old schools library but I didn't really believe the whole 'ghost' and 'paranormal activity' stuff until a few months ago when my mother died. I still felt her presence around me at your old family home in New York.

The friendly ghosts who were named Barbara and Adam talked to me for what seemed like hours on end. Once I had been filled in on everything that they knew about the ghost world, my mouth widened with a yawn and my eyes felt heavy.

"Alright, I should head off to bed. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow alright?"

"Have a good nights sleep Y/N." Barbara and Adam say in unison. They smile at me and I return with one as well.

Closing the door behind me I hear the lock turning. While I open the door to my room I slump onto my bed and stuff my face into a pillow, letting out a groan about having to work tomorrow. Suddenly, another voice comes from the corner of my room.

"You can say that again babes."

I lift my head and roll my body over to face the direction in which the raspy voice came from. My eyebrows burrow together as I ask "Another ghost I'm guessing?"

"Wait.. you can see me?!" The man with a black and white striped suit and green hair with black roots replies starting to grin widely.

I sigh and reply, "Yes - and I don't know why, so please don't ask. Who are you?"

"Sure thing babes. I'm uh.. give me a second." He looks around and then finds my lipstick pencil and sketchbook and opens it to the back page. The ghost begins writing something out and shows it to me.

"Beetlejuice?" I read out and he grins.

———————————————————————
{ edited : 21/8/20 }

Hey! I hope you enjoyed that chapter, it feels a bit weird to write cause I don't usually write things but I just wanted to try something new out.
I know people don't normally do this on this first few chapters but please comment suggestions and things. Thanks! <3

-lils