XIV : Ela

The dusk was much different in the mountain. The warm colors of the eve were more vivid, shining faintly through the thick clouds. It was as if the sun was standing right in front of Ela, slipping behind the hills. It was a promise that the day-star would shine once again, that the night was simply a brief period of slumber before the soft hues of dawn emerged afresh.

The fire was crackling softly in the placid atmosphere. The shade of a tall hill next to her cast a shadow on Ela's face as she observed the dancing flames. What am I doing here? she wondered, and sometimes she failed to answer that question of hers. When she was locked inside a bare room, staring at a blank wall and hearing Arden talk about how important sacrifices for the team are. When she argued with the crew, holding back her power and trying not to boil everyone in the melted snow. There were times she wanted to leave and go back and cease with all the nonsense.

But those were moments when the sweet taste of short-lived freedom intoxicated her. In reality, she was well aware that she would never be independent were she to return, not in the army, not trapped in a palace as a decorative noble.

Maybe the Kingfisher would give her a new purpose, a new place in the world. But she would have to wait to see that, and being dragged back to Seyal was no longer an option. Kage had made his intentions clear. No matter what she was once told about Flouorn's horrid crimes and their atrocious actions, the girl was starting to realize that a complete militia of people like her would do more harm than the enemy had ever done.

"Hey, brat!" Nora peeked out of the short tent, pointing at the blotted logs. "Put the fire out and come here already. We can't sleep knowing you're wandering out there."

Ela grimaced. "Is my presence really that soothing?"

"If that will make you go to sleep already then yes, yes it is."

The girl smothered the flames with a few handfuls of snow, patting her clothes free of the fluff and tottering towards the tent to the right. Their temporary inhabitants had been elected rather fairly; boys in one and girls in the other. Salo and Arden had already disappeared into theirs, with occasional snores, hushes and apologies following close after.

Ailyn had disappeared behind the fat flaps of fabric not long after she had finished eating; if the pungent canned fish could be considered food. Her eyes were clouded and lips curved down into a small frown, like all the other days. Maybe that day was justified. And maybe every other sulk was rationalized by the endless moments of silence that ticked by in the dull cabin. What Ela couldn't explain was the glint of hope shining through the fog blurring her expression. What was there to long for? Their eventual arrest? The time of desperation when they would have to kiss Kage's feet, hoping they wouldn't be charged with treason?

Hoping was foolish at the moment. All that mattered was doing.

Ela crawled between the two bodies in the tent. The green fabric filtered the moonlight, casting weak rays of jade on her eyes. The girl shifted her body, facing Nora. Her eyes were still open and they immediately fell on the girl as she curled her feet to her chest for some warmth.

"Have you ever been to a slumber party before?" the spy whispered.

"Well, I have been invited. Never attended one."

Nora pouted her lips. "You know, the training camps in Flouorn are like an eternal slumber party. Everyone sleeps wherever they like."

"It mustn't be the only disorganized thing in that country."

Nora gasped, bringing a hand to her chest. They might have talked freely, laughed and shared stories, but the spy remained the enemy. Ela had to constantly remind herself that. No matter how friendly she seemed, she was still a mole. Who knew what she would reveal to her commanders once she returned?