Chapter 8

MORE IN SORROW THAN IN ANGER

The week passed by quickly. Your schedule still filled up with finishing schoolwork and studying for upcoming tests, and Tanaka mourning over his loss against Nekoma. Although, he had to keep his spirits up. It was a close one, they'd almost won! If only they'd worked harder in their second set, maybe they could've won. Oh well.

Next time, he told himself.

Next time I'll try harder.

With the weekend now over and Tanaka still in a slightly dejected mood, all he wanted to do was see you. So when school ended, he sent you a quick text saying he'd pick you up from school and slipped out of the school grounds before any of his teammates caught him. He did come to morning practice, surely it be fine if he missed practice after school just once? (Only it wasn't just once. Tanaka made a habit of coming late or entirely missing practice on the odd day or two. It wasn't as frequent before, not until he met you of course. Now it's engraved into his schedule to skip practice just for you. You didn't condone this behaviour, but you did like spending more time with him. You weren't going to scold him about it).

You were in class when you received the text and had to very discreetly- phones were prohibited on school grounds- text him back, reminding him you wouldn't finish school until another hour. He sent you back an emoji with its tongue out and eyes crossed.

Not quite knowing what that meant, you simply put your phone away and continued on with the lesson. When the bell rung, you carefully packed away all your books. Making sure to place the correct books in their respective colour-coded folders.

Morita was hot on your tail the moment you stepped out of class, greeting you with a mischievous smile and dragging you away to the opposite side of the building.

''[Y/N], apparently there's some guy outside the school. Kiara said he's been standing there for over an hour.''

Ah yes, Kobayashi Kiara, the school's gossip girl. She would always be the first one to know anything and everything, and also the first one to spread that. Always the first one on the scene, always first to tell you about it and always prepared to sabotage the situation to make it just a little bit more interesting. She also took a class in Communications, so it all kind of added up. You were sure she'd do great in life.

''Ah-ha,'' you hummed. Absentmindedly paying attention to Morita as she continued on dragging you towards the entrance (or exit) of the school building.

''Let's go see what he looks like,'' Morita giggled.

Morita was a bit of a fanatic when it came to boys. Her phone was filled with pictures of foreign models and she was quick to imagine herself with any guy who so much as said 'hi' to her. But she was also quick to get over somebody. Not a week goes by where she's not dropped at least three boys from her 'hotlist'. One week she was obsessed with some guy from Aobajosai but the next week she'd pretended she didn't even know who he was. It was hard to keep up, but you tried. This week, if you could recall, at the top of her hotlist was a model from Germany, Aaron Brückner.

''Rin, don't you have soccer practice right-,'' you looked down at your phone, ''Now?''

''Who cares, they can wait. Come, if we climb over the wall he won't be able to see us.'' She pointed toward the wall that surrounded the school grounds and where you presumed the guy was standing behind.

''Rin, we are not doing that.''

Wiggling your wrist out of her grip, you calmly started walking to the gates, ignoring Rin's whispers to stop and come hide.