eleven

Nyla-Rose stared at the empty blue sky, not a single trace of cloud slinking across

Nyla-Rose stared at the empty blue sky, not a single trace of cloud slinking across. She was laying on the tilted rooftop that the bedroom window made home above and because it was a little after 12, the sun was slowly making its way onto the other side, leaving her in the cool shade of the farmhouse.

It had been ages since she'd visited Clint, but the space of time that separated them had no effect on how much they meant to each other.

Clint wasn't dull.

He knew that Nyla-Rose needed someone more than ever once he saw the news of Tony's disappearance and when she drove up in the sleek black car, he wasn't at all surprised. Not even when Tobias stepped out and stood off awkwardly to the side as she rushed forward to embrace the Barton's. He soon got comfortable once Laura offered him something to eat and that had given Clint and Nyla-Rose a chance to catch up, each avoiding the obvious question that hovered over their heads.

Clint had dove in first.

"So...any word from your mom?"

Nyla had stiffened, but shook her head.

"No. I guess two years of silence makes it pretty clear that neither of us wanna talk."

"That's not true," Clint argued, "Nat can hold one hell of a grudge, I'll give you that, but she's scared, Nyla. She's afraid that she's lost you completely."

The young woman had gone silent.

"Maybe she did."

Clint had only watched as Nyla-Rose pushed herself away from the tree and climbed to her feet, walking back towards the farmhouse before he could say anything else. He hadn't expected anything less from her. She really was her mother's daughter.

Now, she studied the afternoon sky following  a night of tossing and turning, hoping that Tony would descend in that big donut that had taken him away, alive and well. But, Tony Stark was a magnet for danger. All she could do was hope and pray for his safe return. Still yet, she focused on the vast blue, not noticing the tears that began to spill over her lashes and down the sides of her face. Tobias nudged her leg with his own, slipping his hands under his head and turning to study his best friend as she silently cried to herself.

He couldn't begin to understand how she felt.

Half of her family including her mom were branded as fugitives and she hadn't seen the woman for two years, she had just recently found out she was the sister of Tony Stark and both her real and adoptive parents had been murdered, she had some sort of super strength juice running through her veins and now, one of the most important people in her life had disappeared into space with no reassurance that he would come back. It was no wonder why she'd turned into the emotionless and empty corpse of a person that she did.

He'd had trouble pulling her out of the pit of depression that she'd thrown herself into, but that's what he was for and he wasn't about to give up now. Not when her eyes began to acquire its familiar sparkle and she smiled more often, even if it was only for a small moment. Not when she was finally shedding the bitter shell that encased her for so long and revealing the usually so witty and sarcastic Nyla-Rose. Not now when she was finally brushing her hair.