fifteen

FIVE

YEARS

LATER

At last
My love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song, oh yeah

"Rosie?"

At last

"Rosie?"

The skies above are blue

"Rosie!"

The loud whisper jolted Nyla-Rose from her slumber and she sat straight up, pushing herself away from the cluttered desk she'd fallen asleep on. The lamp was still on, emitting a headache inducing glow over the small area and the speakers near her computer was softly playing Etta James. The little raven haired girl that had slowly inched into her room clutched at a frayed teddy bear nervously as Nyla rubbed the exhaustion out of her eyes.

"Wren? Honey, what are you doing up? It's—"

She glanced at the desk clock.

2:37 AM.

"It's way too early for you to be out of bed," she chided softly.

The girl nodded.

"I had another nightmare, Rosie," she whispered.

Nyla-Rose sighed and opened her arms. Wren eagerly climbed onto the young woman's lap and wrapped her arms around her neck, snuggling her head against her shoulder.

"It'll be okay, Wrennie," she pressed a kiss atop the girl's head, "everything will be okay. I promise you."

"Will they come back?" Wren murmured as Nyla patted her soothingly. She didn't need to ask who the eight year old was referring to, but the question always struck a dart of anxiety in her chest.

"I don't know, honey," she said truthfully, "I hope so."

"I miss them."

"...I miss my family, too."

—————

"Good morning, Nyla-Rose!"

Nyla gave her fellow coworkers a bright smile as she walked into the huge kitchen full of mouth-watering smells. The one to greet her was Jenevieve, a perky brunette with beautiful dark skin and bright green eyes whose thick, curly hair was tied up in a bun, giving her a few inches of height that everyone liked to tease her about.

"Morning, Jen. Morning, everyone!" The other workers, a mix of men and women, chirped their greetings or nodded in acknowledgement as most were busy preparing breakfast.

Nyla straightened the collar on her loose fitting button up before approaching a young woman that wore earphones and bobbed her head to whatever song was playing. She tapped on the girl's shoulder, making her start.

"Oh, hey, Rose."

"Nice 'do," Nyla said, pointing out the light purple streaks in her blonde hair. Charlie, otherwise known as Charlotte, was one of the teenagers that Jenevieve had recently welcomed and she wanted to make sure she was fitting in nicely which was coming along well due to the kind spirits of everyone in the Tower.

"Thanks. I got Rio to do it for me in the bathroom yesterday." Nyla nodded knowledgeably and let the eighteen year old get back to whatever task she'd been given.