fourteen

"Liar

"Liar."

Nyla watched in shock as her brother tore off his arc reactor and upon doing so, immediately fell to the ground, his legs giving out underneath him. She didn't know if it was from the deprivation of proper oxygen or the strain of finally releasing all of his pent up anger he had for Steve that had gone dormant over the years and finally had the chance to make itself known. Either way, she didn't like the condition he was in. Bruce had given him a sedative after his theatrics and Nyla sat near his bed, carefully holding his hand as though she was afraid she might break him in two.

His face, usually so full of life and luster, was pale and bedraggled. A few of his bones poked out against his skin and his chest rose and fell deeply.

A silver wolf succumbing to old age.

Pepper sat on the other side of his bed. Her eyes never left his face as she ran a hand carefully over his forehead and they sparkled with such love and relief that Nyla was thankful when Natasha came to call her away. It felt like she had been intruding on an intimate moment meant to be private. Her gratitude soon melted when she realized that her mother had led her to an empty living room.

"Where is everyone?"

"They left."

"To where?"

Natasha sat on the couch with a sigh.

"They found Thanos."

Nyla's ears pricked up with interest.

"Found him? But why didn't—"

"Because talking to my daughter seemed more important."

She patted the couch cushions invitingly and Nyla sat beside her, holding her breath for the storm to come. If her mother hadn't gone with the team to exact revenge, things might've been worse than she thought.

"I'm a mess," Natasha started, "I'm a big mess that never got a chance to live a normal life. You know all those stories about princesses living in castles and being rescued by a handsome prince on a white horse?"

The sad smile that graced her features was a contrast to the story she told.

"That wasn't me. The idea of a happy ending...I was the girl that wouldn't have any of that along with so many other little girls."

She took a sharp breath, Nyla listening intently with a sad expression on her face.

"I wanted that for you."