Chapter 7

Mai

Entering back in headquarters, Raven is striding in with her arms cross as Hatcher and I follow with the girl we bumped into. I notice Raven is serious a lot, but I'm not sure why yet....yet. She seemed off talking about Felix though, but it was nice to see her smile earlier-

"Mai!"

Raven turns, "What the fuck?"

We all watch as Damian jogs up to us, and starts to slow as he spots Hatcher.

"Um... Permission to speak with Mai... Sir?"

They all turn to look at me, as I roll my eyes with a sigh. I can't ever get away from this man.

"Fine," I say, but regret it when I see a smile slap onto Damian's face.

"So...," He begins to say and Raven walks away, along with the other two, "Can we maybe have some-"

"No."

He gently grabs my wrist, "Please Mai. Can we just have lunch and just talk about things?"

I stay quiet for a minute, but his puppy eyes beg me to speak, "Fine. I suppose we can... tomorrow."

A big grin grows on his face, and I smile a bit, hoping he doesn't notice.

"Alright... tomorrow."

I feel his hand slip away from mine as he happily jogs backwards, and I turn to meet up with the others at Hatcher's office.

*****

I've been waiting outside of the office for what seems like forever, and begin to feel bored. They didn't want to let me inside, because the background check they're doing on the girl is private.

I knock on the door, and cross my arms as it opens.

"What do you want?" Raven asks, her face full of annoyance.

"Let me come in. I want to be involved."

"No," she begins to close the door and I push it open.

"I was with you when we got her, so I should be involved, too."

She pauses, "Fine, come in."

I push my way in to see Hatcher in his chair, with the nerdy girl sitting on the other side. She nervously looks my way.

"Hello Mai, we were just figuring out what to do with her. Now tell me Mary," he faces her, "what are your skills?"

I stand by Raven, and watch Mary play with her sleeves. This girl looks less scared than a normal person when they get kidnapped. She explains to Hatcher how she cooks and cleans a lot, and he scans her face and hands. Suddenly, he just stands and walk up to her.

"You don't have much to go back home to, do you?"

She looks down in response, "No..."

He grabs her hand, lifts it up, and she gasps. Raven just watches, no expression on her face, as he pulls back Mary's sleeve. It reveals fingerprints of bruises and some cuts here and there. My eyes are just open with shock.