Make the Most of It

It was only 5 days till my junior year started, and my boyfriend’s senior year. I’d never admit it to him, but I’m truly dreading this year. This was the last year Bryce and I would share together before he had to go to college, and if everything goes as planned he will get a soccer scholarship. A few talent scouts would come to our tournament at the end of November. But I can’t my life without him. He’s been helping me come to terms with my dad’s death, and if I lose him, I’m pretty sure all my progress would fall apart.

I thought about this as I walked onto the field. It was five in the morning, and the sun was barely peeking over the horizon. The grass was full of fresh morning dew, soaking my socks through my sandals. I twirled my old soccer ball on my finger. Usually I practice with Bryce or Brit. But I need to do this by myself today. It helps me relax, it helps soothe me. It’s almost like therapy. It’s how I express myself. It is me. I eat, breath and sleep soccer. I have since I could first kick a ball.

I placed my pall on the grass and took a step back and sucked in a breath. I started to dribble the ball dashing from side to side, dodging invisible players till I was about 20 feet away I wound up and kicked the ball into the goal. In my mind I could hear the cheers of the crowd.  I started to go retrieve my ball when I heard a familiar voice.

“So now you’re practicing without me?”

Bryce walked onto the field, carrying his own ball.

“No, it’s just-“

“I’m just messing with you. What’s wrong? You only come here by yourself when your upset.” He pointed out, crossing his arms over his toned chest.

Damn, why did he have to know me so well?! “Well, to be honest…”

“Yeah?”

He stepped closer to me, a look of concern written on his face.

“Well… I- uhh-“ I stuttered, I felt embarrassed at my feeling. I shouldn’t be ruining something good. I should be supportive, that’s what a good girlfriend would do…

He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into a hug, “You can tell me. I don’t want you to be scared to tell me stuff Summer.”

I felt my lip quiver, and I hugged him even tighter, “Bryce, what’s going to happen with us when this school year is over and you have to go to college? Will there even be an us anymore?”

He looked down at my face, “Of course there will still be an ‘us’. Nothings gona change between us when that time comes. I love you too much to let that happen.”

"R-really?” I ask, my voice shaking.

He kissed my forehead and hugged me tighter, “I promise.”

I could feel my body shaking, but not from the cool morning wind, but because I was on the verge of breaking down. Have you ever loved someone so much, that the thought of them leaving just absolutely tears you apart? Well that’s how I feel. I know I still have a year with him, but that will all fly out the window, and before I know it, he’ll be leaving.

“I love you Bryce.” I said, burying my head into his sweatshirt.

“I love you too Summer. So much it hurts.”

My chest felt a pang at his words. A lump rose in my throat, a clear red flag that I was on the verge of tears. Bryce pulled away and bent his knees a little so he was at eye level with me. He cupped my face in his hands, and looked at me with those beautiful green eyes that I fell in love with.

“Baby, please don’t worry about this. Okay? We still have a whole year together. Let’s make the most of it. And when I do leave, I will come back every chance I can. We can talk whenever we want. Okay?”

I nodded, the lump in my throat preventing me from speaking. A tear slid from the corner of my eye, Bryce whipped it away with his thumb. I smiled into his hand. A year ago we couldn’t stand being in the same room together, now we spend every waking minute together. Whether were on the field together, or just spending time together watching movies or doing other random stuff. A chuckle escaped my lips breaking this sad moment. I saw the beginning of a smile on the corner of Bryce’s lips. “What’s so funny?”

“I was just thinking about how much has changed since we’ve met. We used to hate each other. Now we’re just-“

He chuckled and spun me around so that my back was pressed against his chest and his arms were wrapped tightly around my waist, “And now we’re just madly in love.”

“Well I wouldn’t go that far-“ I started

“What?”

I gave him a quick kiss, and let out a chuckle, “I’m just messing with you babe. I think we are so madly in love its insane!!”

I realized he was right. We need to make the most of his last year. And that’s what we’ll do. I’m gona make the most of this year with my soccer boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!