Through The Fence

This would be the moment that a person would drop something and stare at the other person with wide eyes and a dropped jaw. But I wasn’t holding anything, so I just stared at Britney my jaw dropped to the point where I was sure it was touching the floor.

Brits lip trembled and her green eyes were watering. She looked like a deer in head lights. As if her very life was flashing before her very eyes. “I thought maybe if we did “it” he wouldn’t be so eager to go to college. That maybe… maybe he would stay with me. But now-“

“Did you try to call him?” I asked.

“OF COURSE I TRIED CALLING HIM!” she cried. “H-he’s been ignoring my calls for a week now. And I don’t know what to do!”

I shook my head, “Brit, h-how could you be so, s-so stupid!”

She stopped her sobbing and gave me an angered look. She stood up “I’m stupid!? Don’t act like you wouldn’t do the same thing to keep Bryce here!”

I opened my mouth to say something, but shut it immediately. Would I do the same? Would I become so despite to keep in here that I would do that? Bryce and I could turn out like Brit and Gus. A shook the thought from my head and looked up to my friend. “How far along are you?”

“About 2 weeks…” Brit said, her hand resting on her stomach.

“I’m gonna lose my soccer scholarship Summer!” she continued.

I cringed at the thought. She’s worked so hard to earn that scholarship. Now, because of a desperate move to keep her boyfriend, she will lose it.

When I glanced back up at Britney I noticed how absolutely fragile she looked. She was pale and had bags under her eyes.

“Have you told you mom?” I asked.
“And have Sister Christian kill me? No thanks!” she exclaimed.

I bit my lip nervously. I want to help my friend. She’s helped me so much. Hell, she’s like my sister. An older sister who stuck up for me.  A girl who never took crap from anyone. A girl whose life was now falling apart.

“Don’t worry. You’ll get through this.” I told her, grabbing her hand in my mine.

She looked at me with hopeful eyes. I gave her a smile, “But right now, you need to sleep. You look like you haven’t been slept in ages. So why don’t you spend the night here okay?”

She was about to protest, but found no words. She simply nodded. I pulled back my blankets and ordered he to lay down. She did obediently. And within seconds she was fast asleep. I gave her one last smile, before leaving my room. I had my phone in my hands and my fingers were already typing the message.

-Meet me out back.

I opened the back door and stepped into the cold night. I walked to the back of my back yard and sat on the ground, leaning against the fence. A few seconds later I head a door shut, and the rustle of grass underneath a pair of sneakers. Then a creak in the wooden fence as someone leaned against it on the other side “Summer?” Bryce asked through the fence.

“Hey..” my voice was a tad shaky.

“What’s wrong?”

“Why would you assume something’s wrong?” I asked with a sarcastic voice.

“Summer...”

I sighed, “Brits pregnant.”

“Holy shit! Are you serious?!” Bryce asked, shocked.”

“Yeah, she’s was here when I came home. She broke down and told me.”

“Who’s the dad?” he asked.

“Gus.”

“But he-“

“Yeah, he left to go to college. Now he’s ignoring her calls. She pretty scared.” I told him.

“He’s such ass.” Bryce said, making me smile. I was glad he wasn’t standing up for his douche friend.

After a couple of minutes of silence I saw my back door open and my mom’s head pop out. “SUMMER! TIME TO COME IN HONEY!”

I groaned  and stood up. “Night, Babe.” I whispered.

“Night.” I heard Bryce whisper back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote! :)