Chapter 5:

**"Lillian!" He comes running to me.

"What?" I look at him.

"You'll never believe!"

"What!" Where is the bus? He finally catches up to me.

"You have to guess," He says out of breath. He puts his hands on his knees.

"I can't guess," I say miserably and impatiently. I look up at the sky.

"Just try. For me? Please?" He stares into my eyes. They're grey like the sky.

"Okay..." I think for a moment, "Uh!" I snap my fingers, "It's the first day of school?"

"No, silly!" He becomes antsy. I look down the road. Where is it? I feel a droplet of water hit my cheek. I look up at the sky.

"Then what?" I turn and smile at him.

He gives me a big cheesy smile, "My mom and dad are going to let me take guitar lessons!" He nearly jumps.

I can't help but smile at him, "Are you excited?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I look down and see a yellow school bus come down the road, "Grade 6 is going to be awesome!"

I look down and kick the cement, "I'm happy for you,"

He notices, "What's wrong?" He touches my arm. I slide my hand through my ponytail.

I sigh, "I can't hide anything, hey Luke?"

"Of course not," He eyebrows crunch.

I look at his dark hair light up orange in the sun, "My mom and dad were fighting again last night,"

"Again?" the bus pulls up to our stop.

"Yup," the bus opens its door, "You ready?" I step on and walk up the stairs.

"Nope," I hear behind me. I look up and see all the different faces. I need to find a seat that's open. I continue walking through the aisle, nothing. I find an open seat with Nelson Connelly. I quickly sit down and put my backpack in front of me. Great. I can't sit with Luke. I watch Luke sit in the seat behind me.

"It sucks I can't sit with you," He whispers behind me.

"I know," I look over and Nelson is staring at me. I give him a quick smile. I feel the bus lunge forward.

"I'm sitting with Sarah," he whispers to me.

"Do you want a granola bar, Lillian?" Nelson says to me. He digs in his back pack, "I got an extra one in here,"

"It's fine, Nelson," I fake a smile at him. I feel Luke reach to the side of me and whisper, "He likes you,"

I quickly turn around, "Shut up, Luke." My harsh tone makes him quickly sit back. I look forward and see Hailey Walker and her friends giggling at me. I hate her. I sigh and sit back. I hate my life. I look forward and they are still staring at me. I can see they are whispering. It makes me so mad. I want to shake. I quickly open up my backpack and pull out a book. I quickly skim through the page I was at and begin to read. The entire world becomes silent, as I get lost in the story. **

I continue reading the manuscript. Hmmm... it could use more here. I type my thoughts on the sidebar. I put my hand to my face and run my thumb over my lip. I begin to chew my thumbnail. This is really good so far. Just have to change the grammar here. I stop breathing and think... oooh. He could use some more here. I highlight the text, yes. Yes. Hmmm... okay.

"Lillian?" I jump. Holy shit. I look up and see Beth.

"Yeah?" I look at her.

"Luca wanted me to check on you,"