Chapter 9:

Hold it together. I take a few steps forward to check in. I don't clearly know how I got here. I try to remember how it happened. I look up and it is my turn.

"Good Morning, How may I help you?" The woman asks me.

"I'd like to get a hotel room," I say to her. I clear my throat. Just keep it together.

"Okay. Can I have your I.D and a credit card please?"

"Sure," I fumble through my wallet. How did I get here? She begins to type my information into her computer.

"How long would you like to stay with us, Miss Porter?"

"Uh... 2 nights, please,"

"Okay, Miss Porter. Would you like smoking or non-smoking?" She looks at her computer.

"Non-smoking," I would like to go for a smoke... right now.

"Okay. We have two double beds and a king bed available. What would you prefer?"

"Two queens is fine," I mumble. I want to cry. On this hotel floor, in front of... I read her tag, Lucy.

"Okay, Miss Porter. Is there anyone staying with you?"

I feel like she has punched me in the gut, "Just me," Just me. Just me.

"Okay." Just me. Just me, "It comes to 295$ for two days and two nights," She fumbles through a box and pulls out a plastic card. I look at the ground. Just me. Just me. Just me. She begins to print something. Just me. Just me. Just me, "I just need you to sign right here," She hands me the paper and gives me a pen. I lean over the desk and scribble my name. She scans my card,

"Okay! Your room is ready to go! It is 212. That's on the second floor. You can take the elevator down the hallway. There is a complimentary breakfast from 6am to 8am. It's 7 o'clock now, so I think you will make it," She smiles at me. I don't want to eat. I want to sleep.

I give her a hazy look, "If I need stay a few more days, do I come down and ask?"

She thinks for a moment, "Yes, Miss Porter. I think you may have to get another room, but I am sure the Holiday Stay Hotel can accommodate all of your needs,"

"Thanks,"

"Have a lovely morning, Miss Porter. We are here if you need anything!" I give her a fake smile and fumble with my luggage handle. How did I get here? How did I... and I mean just me, get here? I pull the handle up and walk to the elevator. I just need to make it to my room. Then you can cry. Just don't cry. I press the button and wait. Can I take the stairs? I hear it ding. Don't cry. I walk into the elevator and quickly touch the second floor button. I feel a tear defeat me and rip down my check. Hold it together. We are close. I feel it move and quickly stop. The doors open and I step out. This hotel isn't terrible. It does have a funky smell. I walk down the hallway and quickly find my room. I slip the key out of the white paper and slide it down. A red light flashes as I try opening the door. It won't open. I quickly try again. Let me in! I quickly slide it down and it keeps me locked out. I just want to cry in fucking peace. I take a deep breath and slowly slide the key down. A green light appears and I can move the handle down. I walk into the dark room and I look around. I see two sunken beds and a small plasma TV. I turn around and grab the "Do not disturb" sign and slide it onto the front knob. I quickly close it and lock all of the locks. I turn around and lean on the door. I feel myself slide down and I can't contain it. I begin to sob. I want to scream. I hold my hands over my face and lightly scream into them.

**I am staring into the mirror. I see one last piece of straight hair. Finally! Last one. I grab the piece of hair and clamp my curler in and roll it up. I wait for 5 seconds, let it go, catch the curl in my hand and spray it with hair spray. I see someone come in through the mirror. She comes behind me. Her short blonde hair is curled and she is wearing a purple skintight dress.