Ruel's POV

Mum is too angry to talk. We drive home the long way and i know she's telling herself off for being overprotective. I do agree she overreacted but coco should be happy we care. My phone buzzes in my pocked and i pull it out. It's a text from coco.

I'll be home at seven, just hanging out with eve n stuff. Tell mum I'm sorry.

I dont reply and certainly dont tell mum about it.

When we get home dad's Jeep and a black Ute covered in dust sit in the driveway. The Ute probably belongs to those people from before. I feel like i recognised them but i feel like that about a lot of people.

We walk inside and mum goes straight to her room. I go to the living room intending to flop down on the couch but its already occupied by dad, Sylvie and the other family. I think it was Alicia and Rocky?

"Ruel." Says dad, spotting me and beckoning me over. I sit down awkwardly next to him.

"This is my mate from university, Scott, and his kids, Rocky and Alira. They might be stying for the week so make room for them."

I half shrug, half nod and stand back up.

"Wait." Hisses dad, pulling me back don by the back of my jumper. "Why dont you show rocky your room. Sylvie, go show alira where to put her stuff."

The boy rocky who looks about eight seems extremely excited to see my room.

I take him upstairs and hope i remembered to tidy it yesterday.

"Woahhh." Says Rocky opening the door.

he looks around in awe, eyes lingering on the guitars, stacks of paper and posters hung up randomly. I throw my bedcovers back to make it looks a bit neater.

"you wanna... play the guitar or something?" I ask. What do eight year olds even like? He nods so i grab the acoustic off its stand and play a few simple chords. I hand the guitar for him and show how to position his fingers. It takes ten minutes for him to be able to get a cord but he seems determined.

"So why are you staying with us?" I ask tentatively.

he shrugs and puts down the guitar. "Our farm lost too much money so we got kicked out."

"Where's your mum?"

"She died."

"I'm... I'm so sorry."

He shrugs again and sits quietly looking at the floor.

"Do you wanna see something cool?" I ask, trying to distract him. He nods and looks up excitedly.

I pull out my laptop from under the bed and try to find a video of me surfing. Unfortunately the first thing that comes up when i open it is a video of me plying at a concert. I try to exit quickly but he sees.

'Woahhh." Says Rocky again. "You're famous!''

I dont reply. My whole body gives a small shiver and I try to deflect the comment.

"Nah, that's just from a... a thing i did a while back, I wasn't actually-"

"Hey! You're a singer, aren't you? I seen you on TV!"

Oh god.

"Nah, it cant have been me, it must've been someone else that just looked a bit similar."

"Nuh uh, it was you."

Bloody eight year olds.

I ignore him and find the surfing video. I think he's forgotten what he said before because he watches mesmerised and silently.

"Wait here." I whisper. I dont think he hears but i leave the room quietly.

I walk along the passage looking back and forth to check no ones coming. The spare room door is closed so i knock quietly. No one answers so i push it open.

The room is empty except for a couple of bags that must belong to Alira, Rocky and their dad.

I open the closet and pull out all my spare merch hanging up in there, the unapproved free time ones, the ancient Ready ones and the bright yellow painkiller ones. I shove the all into my arms and check under the bed. All the concert posters accumulated and collected over the years by my proud mum are stored under there. Struggling to fit them all into my arms, i hurry back out into the corridor and run straight into...

"Sylvie!" I hiss as all the stuff falls out of my arms. I duck down and try to pick it all back up quickly while she stands above me, arms folded and a stern look on her face.

"Ashamed, are you?" She murmurs. "You should be proud. You're lucky. I never understood why you're so embarrassed... you're all over the media. People know you."

I grab the last few poster and try to keep walking but she blocks my path.

"Nuh uh, Ruelio. You're going to out them all back."

I'm trapped. I cant put everything back and risk them finding it. I cant call for dad's backup without Rocky and Alira noticing. I cant pass Sylvie. Unless...

I shove her to the side and sprint towards my room but I know it's a useless attempt. Just as I pass the lift balcony she catches up and pushes all the stuff out of my arms, over the wall and it tumbles through the air down onto the dining table below.

I have to get it before anyone sees.