Alira's POV

Days go by and just as suddenly as anything it's the 27th.

"You're staying at our place tonight. We have to drive into the city to the ball so we'll leave early."  Says Coco kindly.

We eat dinner fairly quietly, with only polite conversation and wondering what we'll do tomorrow night.

Sleep comes quickly and then Kate's next to my bed, carefully sliding the dress out of the closet in the morning light.

"Morning." She says happily when she sees my open eyes.

"What time is it?" I respond grumpily.

"6:29. You leave at 7."

"Why so early!? The ball isn't until tonight and the city is like thirty minutes away."

"We've got you a hotel room."

"Why though."

"Because we thought you guys might want to have a nice day."

"Well, thank you, but I'm tired."

"Sleep at the hotel then!" But she's laughing so it doesn't seem too threatening.

I didn't bring any spare changes of clothes so coco lends me a long white jumpsuit and a black bikini, as well as a pair of denim shorts.  I put on the shorts and my tshirt from yesterday.

We carefully pack our dresses and shoes into the car with a bag of makeup, add in our suitcases and say goodbye to Kate and Ralph.

"Have a wonderful night." Kate says, pulling me into a tight hug. "And stay safe! No drinking for Ruel and Alira."

"Mum." Says Sylvie aggressively. "They'll drink and you can't stop them."

We hop in the car, Coco driving and Sylvie in the passenger seat, me and Ruel crammed in the back with the surprisingly large dresses bundled around us.

"I'm being stabbed by a high heel, can you pull over." He mutters.

"No, idiot! You can deal with it for half an hour." Coco responds.

As we get closer to the city the buildings reach upwards further and the streets widen.

Ruel trues to position the dresses so that they cover his face but many people recognise him and squeal loudly.

"You deal with this?" I ask.

"Yeah. You get used to it."

"Must be annoying."

"Yeah, it really is."

It's small talk but it's something.

It's not long before we're in front of the large white and gold hotel. We hop out and leave a few workers unloading everything.

We get ushered into an elevator and rise up, up up into the sky. The doors open onto a plain of blue sky that turns out to be a large window that continues down the corridor. We turn a corner where the hall turns darker and softly lit by orange lamps.

The attendant suddenly turns to a large black door. "Two in here." He grumbles, clicking open the door.

Sylvie shoves me and Ruel forward into the room and before I notice anything they've shut the door behind us. Footsteps recede along the passage.

"This is pretty sick." Says ruel, walking over towards the wall sized window. We can see the whole of Sydney from here.

There's two double beds so I flop down on one. It's 8am and I'm still tired.