Alira's POV

I wake with an uneasy sense, unlike the last days where I wake bathed in sunlight. The curtains are closed and the aircon cools the hot air. I hear someone else breathing slowly and almost jump out of bed. 

Standing on top of the mattress I realise it's just Ruel, sitting in a chair next to the bed, fast asleep. I have questions but for now I let him sleep.

I change in the bathroom, into a white button up jumpsuit that lets air flow against my skin still. Then I sit at the dressing table, brush and straighten my hair, then clip it back with some pearl pins.

I'm just adjusting the right hand side when Ruel speaks. 

"Morning."

"Good morning. Did you sleep ok? Do you want to keep sleeping? It's only 8am."

"Nah, I'm alright."

"Why were you in my room?"

"Just to look after you."

I click my tongue. "I don't need looking after."

"That's what I feel about you looking after me. Anyway, it doesn't matter."

He stands up, throws the blanket he was using onto the bed and stretches.

"Nate says we have a day off." He reads from his phone.

"Yeah. I think he cancelled the rest of the tour. He's sorting it out, don't worry."

I can already see panic dawning on his face, so I turn and cross my arms. "I told you not to worry. He's got this, they're managing it. It doesn't matter. Let's go shopping."

He goes back to his room to change. After sitting on the bed looking out the window for a while, curiosity gets the better of me and I open my phone to scroll through the posts he's tagged on. Nate has obviously announced the rest of the tour has been cancelled, without giving details why.

The posts are an interesting mix of abuse, support and complaining from both sides. I sigh and power off my phone.

My door opens and Ruel comes back in.

"Leave your phone here." I say quietly.

He chucks in on the bed and I grab my purse. Then we leave. Go down to the foyer. Out to a cab.

The driver takes us to the nearest markets. It's crowded, and music is coming from somewhere. The sun is scorching and the sky blue. It's a good vibe.

We walk straight to the first stall we see and I buy two iced watermelon juices to sip while we walk.

"I'm easily the tallest person here." Mutters Ruel, smirking. 

I laugh and nod. It's true, he easily clears the 5 foot locals around us. 

We stop to look at stalls with sparkling jewels, little lizards scurrying across the tables, turrets of freshly cut fruit.  

"These are pretty." Says Ruel, rubbing the fabric of some billowy pants between his hands. 

"Ruel." I say, bemused. "Those are girls pants."

"I know, idiot, I meant they'd look pretty on you."

"Oh. Sure."

"Try them on. Go on."

I stand between two big boxes that the stall owner says is the change room. Put on the pants, which are really quite comfy. 

"Yeah, they're nice." I call to Ruel.

"Show me! I want to see."

I step out of the change room and he grins at me through the racks of clothes.

I smile back. It's one of those cliche moments where a little ray of sun breaks through the big tarps shading the markets and illuminates his face with a tiny glow of warmth. It makes me sad and I don't know why. So I turn back to the change rooms and put my clothes back on. I take a moment to compose myself then walk out to pay for the pants.

"You ok?" Says Ruel as I reach him.

"Yeah." I say airily. Then to the cashier "Just the pants please."

"I'll pay." Says Ruel, handing over the money. I don't try and stop him.

"Do you like them, then?" I ask, taking the pants and putting them in my bag.

"Yeah. They're cute."

"Thanks." I say, surprised.

We reach the end of the markets and find ourselves next to a main road.

"I'm tired, can we got back home for a nap?" I ask quietly.

"Yeah. Sure."

We flag down a cab and hop in, giving the driver directions back to our hotel.

The sun shining through the window makes me squint and I lean on his shoulder.

"Go to sleep." He whispers.

I shake my head, but sure enough I drift off being rocked by the bumps of the car.