Chapter Two

Fucking Mary, doesn't know how to knock quietly. It's 5:00am for God's sake.

"Hello?" I open the door with urgency, Mary stood with a bird nest for hair. Her dress even higher then what it was before, if that's even possible.

Her make up was all over her face, plus the smell of vodka wafting off of her.

"Hey gurl. Are they knocked out? Ah shot, well," she actually hiccuped. "I guess you'll bring them over in the morning. Nighty night!"

I for real didn't get a say in that situation. Got my own door slammed in my face.

"Mom and dad get like that a lot, it scares Kate." Jeremy had sat up on the couch after the door was shut.

Oh baby no.

"Jer...Kate has nothing to be sacred of buddy. Neither of you do." I stroked his soft cheek, and messed his hair up a little.

"It's not mom she's scared of Callie..." Jeremy put his head down on my lap when I sat down next to him.

She was scared of her father. I don't necessarily blame her, he was a scary man.

"Why's she scared of your dad, Jeremy?" I swear to god if he tells me their father beats them...

"He doesn't touch us. Don't worry about that, but also, he doesn't not touch mommy. But sometimes he'll come home, and he'll have someone with him. Another lady. Mommy thinks they're all prettier then she is, that's why daddy brings them to our house, and gives them gifts. Mommy says it's all on the credit card records. Whatever that means. But he also yells at mommy. Like, really loudly."

Oh fuck. I've never seen so much as a bruise, David brings home other women although?

"Go on buddy, you can tell me." I run my hand through his short hair, encouraging him to tell me more. It's not as if he can tell his oldest siblings about this. They're never home.

He sniffles and rubs his eyes, "He says stuff to her like, 'you're a dirty hoe.' I'm not sure what a hoe is, but it doesn't sound very nice. Huh Callie?" I shook my head at him.

"No, Jer. It's not a nice word, so don't go around saying it, okay buddy?" He nodded.

A couple minutes later he's back to sleep. I move so he's laying fully on the couch.

The more I think about it, I've drowned out the sounds of their yelling so many times, it's not even funny.

My phone lights up on the coffee table, and I scowl at the screen seeing who has texted me.

'Greyson Daniels has sent you a Facebook friend request.'

And,

'New text message from (573) _ _ _ - _ _ _ _"

"Hey sweetheart. By the way, yes, that is exactly what your name in my phone is ;)."

Oh god, he used the old way of emojis. I actually kinda like them better this way.

"Yeah, this totally isn't stalking. Could've just gotten rid of my number, weirdo."

I sigh and lay down the phone. I go grab some more water and throw away the kids trash. And finally shut the tv off.

"It's the simple fact that I still have it, that I'm able to let you know I'll be waiting outside tonight. At 6:00pm, remember sweetheart?"