Chapter 1

Joan Adams POV

A wise man once said, life is unpredictable and you should be prepared for whatever it throws in your way. I totally agree with it, and until so far I have been always ready, but not for this moment, not when your mom is forcing you to be a bridesmaid of your half-sister's wedding. I mean life, you got to be kidding me this time!!!

"You know Joan, I am so disappointed with you. Look at your sister, she already gets married at 23 and all she is asking is to be her bridesmaid and you said no to her face???!!! That's been so mean and low of you!!!" said her mother with a disappointed look and all Joan did was roll her eyes at her.

"Mom, first of all, she is not my sister, she is your daughter. And second of all, the only reason she is asking to be one of her bridesmaids is to humiliate me and for god's sake she is marrying my ex-boyfriend and it is the last place I want to be. So leave me alone!!!", I answered my mother in the bored tone studying my new case.

God someone please help me from this woman who claims to be my mother. I know, I know I sound like a bitch but seriously, how can the universe screw with me this much. I mean seriously!!!

"Joan Listen to what you are talking about!!! How can you say that to your little sister Bianca that she is not your sister and it is not her mistake that you can't keep a man happy? Now cut this crap and call back to your sister and tell her you will be one of her bridesmaids" Says My mother trying to act like my mother. Like seriously???!!! Now you tell me how can I call this woman my mother who doesn't even care about her daughter's feelings.

I seriously don't know how my father even thought to marry this woman. Laura Black aka the woman who claims to be my mother met my dad aka Gorge Adams in college, they instantly fell in love and once they finished their college, they got married like hopelessly lovesick couples were supposed to do I guess? I dunno why else. As my dad was an only child, he took over his family business and Laura was his proud wife. After a year of marriage, they had me. I don't remember my childhood much with my mom if you ask me she was never home she loved her shopping spree and kitty parties more than me. Neither did I care much. My dad used to play with me when he was at home. So I was practically raised by a nanny /bodyguard Jim.

I dunno how it started exactly, but one day woke up and Laura realized how boring things get when my dad goes to business trips so she thought of having an affair and in that process, she ended up getting knocked up when my dad realized what she did his heart was broken He soon he got a divorce(thanks to heavens for that dad) and am glad my dad fought tooth and nail for me and raised me and never left me alone. And as for Laura she went away with her lover and married him eventually and raised Bianca together.

So tell me why on the earth should I listen to this woman!!!!

When she saw me not responding. "Are you even listing for me???!!!" Laura snapped me to reality and threw my file across the wall for special effects. God, please show some mercy!!!

I sighed pinching the bridge of my nose"Will you leave me alone if I agree?", I asked my mom.

"Yes," Laura said with the triumphant smile. Like always she won.

"But don't expect anything more than my presence ", I warned, knowing Laura and her psychotic plans and to my surprise, she agreed and left after giving a lecture on how we are all a family. Once she was out I hit the gym, which was attached to my apartment. Yes, yes I know I am rich, so period.

"I take it your Mum paid a little visit" I hear a male voice and Instantly I know It was my colleague/ friend Blake hunt. Blake and I met in college when he was dating my crazy roommate (let's talk about her sometime later because trust me she is crazy) the bottom line of the story once he dumped my roommate we became friends as he learned who I am. FYI His dad and my dad were Bestfriends. Later, Gemma tagged along and we were inseparable.