Chapter 27

"It's not exactly what I was expecting," Klaus said, as the four of us stared at Harold Jenkin's dead body.

"The understatement of the year," said Five.

"No sign of Vanya," Klaus pointed out.

"Let's get out of here, before the cops come," I said, starting to walk out the door.

"In a minute," said Five. He pulled something out of his pocket and went over to the body. In Five's hand was the eye he was obsessing about a few days ago.

"Didn't you get rid of that thing?" I asked.

"Shh," he shushed me. Five took the bandage that was covering one of Harold's eyes and ripped it off.

"Come on, Five, what are you..." Diego trailed off. Five put the eye into the empty space where an eye is supposed to go.

"Ugh," I looked away in disgust.

"Same eye color, same pupil size. Guys this is it. The eye i've been carrying around for decades, it-It's found its rightful home," Five said, almost excited. Then, he took it back out and put it right back in his pocket.

"We got the guy we needed to kill to stop the apocalypse," said Diego.

"Yay! Let's go," Klaus smiled.

"No, no. Wait, wait. It can't be this easy. Look, this is the note that I got from the Commission," said Five, pulling out a piece of paper. "The one that says, 'Protect Harold Jenkins,'. Aka Leonard Peabody."

"Yeah?" I asked.

"But who killed him? Who did this?" Five asked us.

"I have a crazy idea. Crazy, but why don't we find Vanya...and ask her what happened," said Klaus, right before Five teleported away.

"Great, now Five's gone," I sighed.

"If Vanya got away from this asshole, she might be headed back to the Academy," Diego said.

"Are you guys just going to ignore the fact that Five left?" I asked. Diego and Klaus looked around, realized what I said was true.

(Time Skip)

"No sign of Vanya," Five stated, after we've searched most of the house for her. Once we found Harold and Five left, we went back to the Academy to find Five. He was there, searching the house already. We joined in, having no luck.

"She's not in any of the rooms," I pointed out.

"She's not downstairs, either," Klaus added.

"Well i'm out," said Diego.

"Wait, wait. Where are you going?" asked Five as Diego walked away, "Vanya is still out there, and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha."

"I know. I'm gonna get my things and then i'm outta here. I got some unfinished business with those fools," Diego said, before exiting the room. It stayed silent for a moment, until Five spoke up.

"Hey, did Dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him? Any clues as to how it happened?" Five asked Klaus.

"No. No clues," Klaus sighed, "Truly terrific shave. But no clues."

"Jeez," Five mumbled, walking away also.

"You know, come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential, and how i've barely even scratched the surface of my-"

"How did he know about the apocalypse?" Five asked, for what feels like the millionth time. Klaus and I followed Five down the stairs, and into the main hall.

"I don't know, but listen. This whole jumping through time thing of yours, how did...How did you know how to do that?" asked Klaus.

"He didn't," I cut in, "You'd realize that if you were actually sober."

"Hey, I am sober. I've been sober for two-almost two days now," Klaus whined.

"Yeah, two days," said Five.

"It feels like 45 years," Klaus sighed.

"Who are you kidding, Klaus? I've seen you fidgeting all day," I said.

"Well, I guess the three of us are fighting our addictions, then," said Klaus.

"I'm not an addict," Five stated.

"Yeah, you are. You're addicted to a drug called the apocalypse," Klaus said.

"You're wrong."

"And what am I addicted too?" I asked.

"Five," Klaus said blankly.

"Am not! He drags me everywhere he goes!" I exclaimed.

"First sign. Denial." Klaus smirked at the two of us. I groaned in annoyance, Klaus can be so annoying sometimes.

"You and I are not the same," Five said pointed at Klaus, changing the subject.

"I've seen that look in the eye of someone who doesn't know who they are without their high anymore. Trust me. You just gotta let it go," Klaus explained. Five looked at him for a second before throwing the glass eye at the wall, causing it to shatter. "Figuratively, but yeah, that works, too."

"Honestly, what is his problem?" I ask Klaus, after Five walked away.

"I don't know, sis. I think he has anger issues," Klaus whispered.

"Probably," I laughed, before going into the living room and sitting on the couch.