please stay

after a dramatic couple of weeks of my life? i do so ready to just up and leave; i mean, i did turn seventeen two weeks ago, i could leave at any point.
  but i made two really good friends throughout this drama: cameron boyce and karan brar. we were a lovely bunch of friends, and it was nice, because there weren't expectations. we could do as we pleased, whenever really, and there weren't rules or anything like that.
   we went to a football game, because those were still a thing at school that kids went to, and of course my old friends managed to get seats next to cameron, karan and i. and if there's one thing about those girls, i know that they're all obsessed with cameron.
  so, cameron being the sarcastic brat that he is, sat on the outside, me next to him, with his arm around me. you should've heard the whispers coming from the girls, it was so funny.
   then cameron did the funniest, but the dumbest thing he could've done: kissed my cheek.
  all of the girls gasped, and i let out a nervous laugh. "just go with it," he whispered. karan looked at us after coming back from the concessions stand and about lost the popcorn he was laughing so hard.
   he sat down and handed me my box of popcorn and i went to my backpack to fish out three dollars to pay him back, and cameron pushes my hand down. he hands karan ten dollars, to cover my popcorn and bottle of gatorade and cam's popcorn and dr. pepper.
   all of the girls sit there, gawking at cameron's arm being around someone who wasn't them. it was hilarious. but also dangerous.
   they were snobby little girls, who when didn't get their way would throw a fit like a two year old. then to add to the rumor building, he gave me his hoodie about halfway through the game.
  i whispered to him, "isn't this a little too far for this joke?"
  "too far? for a joke? babe we both know that doesn't exist." he laughed.
   okay problem; he just called me babe loud enough for those pests to hear. now i'm really dead.
   "cameron as soon as i leave, i'm gonna get my ass kicked by them.." i plea, "just don't do anything else."
   "okay, fine." he whines, kissing my cheek.
  "cam!" i laugh.
  we went to overtime, but we ended up taking the win, by one stinking touchdown. thank god we have a clue how to play football.
   cam, karan, karan's girlfriend, sophie and i were all going to applebee's, and i really hoped that those girls didn't follow us or hear karan tell sophie that's where we were going.
   soon enough, we're all crammed into karan's car, and we're driving to applebee's.
   "so i noticed cameron got a girlfriend for that football game."karan jokes.
   "i couldn't help myself! they were sitting right there making bets about who would make a move on me first. i think they counted my freckles rather than watched that game!" cam laughs.
   "it was funny to hear them gasp every time you showed the slightest bit of attention or affection." i smile, "god they're so fake."
   "y/n, weren't you friends with them last semester?" sophie asks.
   "yeah, then i realized what snobs they were," i explain, "i didn't realize how bad they were until i looked from the outside."
   "they bullied my brother pretty bad," she opened up, "i really am grateful that you got out of there." she smiles.
   eventually, after karan got lost two or three times, we pulled into applebee's. those two, being karan and sophie got out of the car, and i took cam's hoodie off to give back to him, which he gave back, "no! keep it, you need it more than i do, you're a lot smaller than me." he laughed.
   we sat in our booth, and of course, the trash comes in. and sits two booths away from us. "it's like they're obsessed." sophie remarked.
   "cause they are." i say, looking up at cameron who slid his arm around me.
   "i'm lucky i snagged you before they sunk their perfect white teeth into you," sophie says, kissing karan's cheek.
   "oh please, i don't have the freckles or curls for them to sink into." he laughs, but kisses sophie's cheek.
   we order and our food is brought out, cam digs in, and i start eating my mac and cheese. i feel eyes on me, so i look up from my yummy food to see the girls sitting there with their phones out. i nudge cameron who looks up and flips them off.
   after we leave, our phones buzz. i pull my phone out and see "Veronica Mae tweeted: