Wattpad Original
There are 20 more free parts

Chapter 48

"There's Chosen coming!" Wellon's shout carried across the area.

Both Dappppp and Severance looked over and saw Jeffrey flailing his arms as if he was a conductor instructing an orchestra of hideous Chosen. Eight of the creatures stepped out of the swirling fog that surrounded the edges of the room.

"For crying out loud," Dappppp muttered, voicing exactly what Severance was thinking. He reversed grip on one of his short blades, then held it out before him. "Blade Summon!"

A single glass-like blade popped into existence, floating gently for a moment before it began to circle around Dappppp. The Rainblade sprinted for the Chosen. "I got 'em!"

Red flashed in Severance's vision, and he spun towards the culprit, already beginning to ready a heal. Too late. The Captain smashed Legacy into a paste, effectively pulverizing every last hp point. At least Legacy managed to whittle down a decent chunk of the boss's health before he died.

Wellon darted in with his eerie grace, daggers biting at the Captain's flank before he spun around the back. Provoked, the Captain growled and turned to follow.

"Ward!" Severance tossed the shield on Wellon, before focusing on Legacy's bloodied form. The poor Cryomancer would have fun getting the blood out of his clothes. His formerly pristine blue robes were mostly dark purple now.

Out of the entire team, Legacy had been beaten up the most, and Severance felt bad for the guy. Especially since Legacy had taken the fall on Severance's behalf more than once.

Severance gritted his teeth. He wasn't happy about that. Though there was little else they could do, as their tank was living in her own little world. A glance in her direction showed that Wertwert24 was happily beating on a Chosen. She'd lost control of the boss within minutes, and so had become a distraction to one of the Chosen that Jeffrey spawned.

"Revive," he murmured. The second the skill was cast, he immediately focused on Dappppp. "Mend."

Then he was forced to sprint away from the three Chosen that immediately came after him. Meanwhile, Wellon barely dodged the Captain's attack, taking enough damage to turn his health into orange.

Jeffrey cackled, pointing his crooked staff at a spot just ahead of Severance. Instantly, the ground softened. Severance noticed it a step too late. Once again, he sank into a knee-deep pit of mud.

Why me?! He ground his teeth. The little critter just chortled, clearly delighting in the misery it was causing.

A sickle blade dug into his shoulder.

It was followed by a second one punching through his gut. It curved up towards his face, glistening crimson.

Severance's health turned orange, and his heart leaped up into his throat. He choked out, "Ward!"

The shield coalesced around him, only to pop beneath the blow from a third sickle blade.

I'm dead, he realized. Panicking, he tried to cast a Mend, but he was interrupted when a Chosen struck his head.

+1 Vitality

Congratulations, Severance! You have reached Level 22.

You have unassigned skills.

Warmth flooded him, sweeping over him head to toe. Wounds closed, but there was so much blood that it ran into his eyes. Severance shuddered and gasped. He could feel it sliding down his face.

A cold icy wind blew over him, ice crystallizing around the Chosen in a thin layer. It glimmered on their bodies, freezing them in place.

Severance trembled, every part of him wanting to collapse on the spot.