Promise me

Stiles would be lying if he said he didn't feel drawn to Derek more now that Derek had admitted to wanting him to be his emissary and since Stiles had agreed. He had suspected that the feeling would get stronger, but it seemed to be in a different way as well. Something inside him wanted to protect Derek at all costs. A few weeks ago that idea would have been laughable to anyone who knew Derek was an alpha werewolf. But a few weeks ago Stiles was only a human, now he actually had the means to protect Derek and his pack. Stiles had never felt so powerful and these few spells he'd gotten from Bonnie made him powerful and unpredictable. Deucalion wouldn't be expecting witches magic from a druid. He wondered why more druids didn't use witch's spells. Bonnie had said that most druids saw witches as cheap imitations, but Stiles respected someone who could harness the power from earth and do magic.

"What are you thinking about so hard?" Derek asked, walking out onto the balcony where Stiles was.

Stiles turned to the alpha only to feel a pull he hadn't felt before.

"Is it different for you too? This...connection between us?" Stiles frowned. He suddenly felt nervous. He was reminded how attracted to Derek he had always been. But now the attraction was more than physical, there was trust and respect. He hadn't considered that those feelings might be heightened with the agreement.

"It's...stronger," Derek chose his words carefully. He'd been feeling more things towards Stiles over the past few days, but it seemed like just in the few hours, their agreement to share such a connection had escalated any romantic feelings he had for the younger guy. It made him uncomfortable. He didn't want to feel this way. It wasn't safe getting close to people much less falling for them. The last people he'd fallen for, didn't work out so well for him.

"Are you scared?" Stiles asked then, hoping to change the subject. He had been curious if it was different, but he didn't want to delve any further. The last thing he needed was Derek finding out about his feelings for him.

"Not for me," Derek answered honestly, taking a step forward.

Stiles only nodded. He felt the same way.

"Stiles, I need you to promise me that you won't do anything stupid," Derek reached out, his hand landing on Stiles' arm gently.

Stiles was sure Derek could hear the way his heart leapt at the contact.

"Only if you promise the same," Stiles responded, hoping his voice would drown out the loud thunder of his heartbeat.

"I'm serious, Stiles. I can't lose you."

Hearing those words made Stiles' stomach flip. He couldn't believe Derek Hale was saying this to him.

"What about them, do they get the same lecture?" Stiles gestured towards the wolves inside.

"They'll listen if I say backdown. They don't have a choice. They answer to me. You don't."

"And that scares you," Stiles guessed.

"It terrifies me," Derek corrected.

"Why? Just because of some mark?" Stile was a bit frustrated that the only reason Derek even felt this way was because of the stupid mark.

Derek reached forward and pulled the collar of Stiles' shirt down to expose the mark. He would be lying if he said he didn't like seeing his tattoo branded on Stiles, like a claim. God why did he have to make it creepy?

"No," Derek growled out, releasing stiles' shirt.

"Then why?"

"When are you going to get it through your head that I care?" Derek sighed, as if in disappointment.

"It's just a new concept to me. I don't have anyone that cares. Except my dad and Scott," Stiles gave a shrug.

"You have tons of friends at School," Derek frowned.

"They don't know me. The real me. The messed up, jaded, distrusting, magical me."

"Those are the things I love about you," Derek took a step forward, wanting to reach out and touch Stiles again but he refused to be like Kate.

"Love about me?" Stiles snorted.

Derek hadn't realized how he'd worded that. He tensed and tried to think of how he could backtrack.

"I just meant-"

"It's fine," Stiles cut in, "I know you're not in love with me," he smirked, his eyes darting out towards the view over the balcony.

Derek wanted to say it, wanted Stiles to know, but he couldn't risk it. Not when he could lose him.

"You never promised," Derek changed the subject back to the previous one.

"I promise to do whatever necessary to keep Deucalion from winning," Stiles answered knowing it wasn't the answer Derek wanted.

"Damn it, Stiles," Derek growled. He should have known Stiles would be stubborn about it.

"I can't lose you either, Derek. I care too much. I finally belong, I can't lose that. This pack is my family now. I refuse to let that go without a fight," Stiles gestured to the door as he turned back to face Derek once again.

"I'm not asking you not to fight, I'm asking you not to kill yourself in the process. If things go wrong, you give him me. That's the plan. If we can't pull this off then-"

"No," Stiles cut in harshly, "I won't give him you. I won't give him anyone."

"Stiles, this is a fight we can't possibly hope to win, we have to be prepared that we might not," Derek's tone was stern but patient.

"I refuse to believe that. I won't let some power-hungry bully ruin my life. I will do whatever is necessary," Stiles snapped. His tone wasn't nearly as patient as Derek's, however that patience was going quickly.

"Damn it, Stiles, you don't understand what losing you will do to me. Please, I've lost too many people, don't make me lose you too," Derek's tone was pleading.

Stiles stiffened. Derek knew just what to say.

"Fine," Stiles nodded, "I promise."

*AN*
Sorry it's been a while, life's been crazy. Enjoy!