Girl Meets College Acceptances

It was the middle of our senior year and Maya, Farkle, Lucas, Zay, Smackle, and I were all sitting around my kitchen table with our college acceptance or rejection letters in hand.

"Ok guys, we promised to open our top choice school letter together so let's do it," I said sternly.

"I have no doubt that both Farkle and I have been accepted into Princeton!" Smackle thought aloud.

"And Lucas is a shoo-in for the UT Dallas baseball team," Zay added.

"Not to mention that the coach all but told Zay he was gonna be accepted with scholarship to play on the UT Dallas football team!" Lucas said clapping Zay on the back.

"Plus Maya is definitely talented enough to get into the NYU art school," Farkle stated.

"And Riles already got accepted into Yale, Brown, Columbia, and UCLA, so there's no way NYU is gonna reject her," Maya said smiling.

"You guys are ruining the surprise!" I groaned.

"Sorry honey..." Maya consoled me.

"Ok, 1...2...3!" We all counted together.
We each ripped open our letters feeling both excited and nervous.

Dear Ms. Matthews,
We are proud to be the first to congratulate you on your acceptance to attend New York University this fall......

"I GOT IN!!" I squealed. I looked around the room to gauge what everyone else's letters say. Everyone looked really happy, this must mean they all got accepted.
Then my eyes landed on Maya, and she looked devastated.

"We got full rides!" Smackle exclaimed speaking for herself and Farkle.

"Congrats guys!" Lucas smiled at them.

"I didn't get a full ride, but I did get accepted and that's good enough for me," Zay stated with a hint of sadness.

"Hey, I didn't get a full-ride either buddy," Lucas said trying to make Zay feel better.

"Maya..?" I said softly.
She looked at me, her eyes were watering and I swear she was gonna start crying. "It's ok peaches," I whispered in her ear as I gave her a hug. A sad silence fell over the whole group.

Suddenly Maya started laughing.

"Just kidding!" She said with a huge grin.

"Wait you got in?!" I said in a state of shock from the act she had put on.

"Don't sound so surprised Riles, I even got a scholarship." She beamed.

And then we both started laughing at the same time. We were gonna be together. Me and my peaches. Our little group was gonna be just fine.

"Guys, now I know that we're gonna be ok," I told my friends.

"Oh come on Riley, I think we all knew that before we even opened these letters," Farkle said joining the hug.

"Yeah, we're best friends. That'll never change." Lucas said also joining the hug. Then Smackle and Zay joined in too and soon we were all in a big group hug.