Girl Meets The Barista

Today

Maya Hart-Hunter was 19 years old, and she was hopelessly in love.

 Last week, while working her usual Friday night shift at the local NYU Starbucks, she met the most beautiful brunette. 

She didn't know this brown-haired girl at all, she'd never seen her before, and didn't even know the girl's name. But Maya knew she was at least very infatuated, if not in love, with the brunette. 

Last Friday

Riley Matthews was in the middle of her sophomore year at New York University studying Pre-Med. 

Riley didn't always know that she wanted to be a pediatric surgeon, but in her junior year of high school, she decided that she wanted to help people, she wanted to make a difference in the world. She wanted to make an impact, just like her parents. She also found out that she really loves kids. 

After one particularly difficult lecture, she decided that she'd probably have to pull an all-nighter to study this new topic further. 

She usually didn't drink coffee, she didn't like the taste of it, but Riley knew she needed the caffeine so she hesitantly entered the Starbucks next to her dorm for the first time.

"Hi! Can I get a grande Coffee Frappuccino with extra sugar?" Riley asked the barista.

"Yeah, no problem! It'll be $5.87. Can I get a name?" The blonde barista asked Riley.

"Riley." She said as she handed over the money.

"Ok, your drink will be right up." The barista smiled. 

Riley watched as the boy who took her order handed a cup to another blonde. 

Riley mindlessly watched as her drink was blended and as whip cream was added to the top. 

As Riley approached the counter, she noticed the beautiful blue eyes of the girl who handed her the drink. 

Riley grabbed her drink and left. But not before noticing the name tag on the blonde beauty. 

"Maya." Riley smiled to her herself.

Today

Friday nights were usually busy, but it happened to be extra slow today so Maya told her best friend and coworker to go home for the night. 

"Go on Lucas, get out of here." Maya shooed the boy.

"I don't wanna leave you here by yourself!" Lucas protested.

"There is no one here! I'll be fine. Don't worry." She assured him.

"Ok fine. But next time you can leave early and I'll stay." Lucas said packing up his stuff.

"Deal." Maya smiled.

After Lucas left Maya was wiping down some counters when she heard the door open. Since she was the only one there, she had to take the order.

"Welcome to Starbucks, what can I get you?" Maya asked without even looking up.

"What drinks do you guys have without coffee?" Riley asked.

As Maya looked up, she realized she was making direct eye contact with the brunette she liked so much.

"You can try one of our cream-based Frappuccinos, or you can order any drink and I can substitute cream for coffee," Maya said.

"Ok, I'll take a Strawberry and Cream Frappuccino." Riley smiled.

"Coming right up." Maya smiled back.

"Oh, you forgot to charge me." Riley reminded the blonde.

"Consider it on the house," Maya replied while making the drink.

"What? No." Riley said in shock.

"Don't worry about it" Maya replied once more.

"Let me pay you back somehow." Riley offered.

"You can tell me your name." Maya smiled handing the brunette her drink.

"Riley. Riley Matthews." Riley responded.

"I'm Maya, Maya Hart-Hunter," Maya stated.

"Hey Maya," Riley called.

"Yeah?" Maya answered.

"You wanna go out with me?" Riley asked.

Maya smiled even bigger than she already was. She didn't say anything, instead, she chose to grab Riley's face and kiss her.

"What was that for?" Riley asked in shock.

"Because you're cute," Maya replied.

Then they kissed once more.