Prologue

"That's good, because after today you will never have to be apart again." 

That is what Micheal Banks had said to him on his wedding day. Jack's chest began to rise faster and he felt a lump form in his throat. He stared at the yellow letter in his hands. He knew the government was conscripting men between 18 and 41 years old but he thought he'd be safe, being a father of two, soon to be three. Apparently they needed all the men they could get. Then of course they would turn to the workers first, as they always get the worst treatment from their government. He was used to it by now, but he never thought they would tear fathers away from their families. That is one step too far. 

Jack took a deep breath and put on a smile as he heard his four year old daughter coming down the stairs.

"Daddy?" She whispered.

"Good morning my little light. Did you sleep well?" Jack picked her up in his arms and carried her into the kitchen, putting her down on the counter. 

"Yes. But Albert was making a lot of noises in his sleep so I couldn't sleep any more." She said hugging her little blanket. Jack smiled.

"Well you're in luck because daddy couldn't sleep anymore either. Mummy was snoring again." Jack said and booped his daughter's nose.

The little girl giggled. She knew her mummy hadn't been well since her belly was big again and hoped it would soon go back to normal. 

"Say, is it just me or do you suddenly look a lot older?" Jack grinned at his daughter, making her laugh.

"I'm four years old now daddy, so of course I'm a lot older. I'm very big." She said standing up on the counter, towering above him.

Jack sighed and chuckled.

"My big girl. " He smiled.-

"Now come down quickly before your mother wakes up and you know she doesn't want you or your brother standing on the counter." Jack said sternly and helped her down. Suddenly Jack heard a yawn coming from behind him. He turned around to find his sleepy wife carrying their two year old son on her hip. 

"Good morning." Jane yawned and gave Jack a kiss on the cheek. 

"Good morning lovely wife of mine." He said and then turned to Albert.

"Good morning my boy, did you sleep well? Your sister said you were making loads of noises?" Jack said and tickled his son on his belly. Albert burst out laughing, nearly falling from Jane's hip, which was already quite the trick with her swollen stomach. 

"Jack!" Jane said with a stern voice, but still smiling. Jack took Albert from her and put him in his highchair. 

"Sorry miss Banks." Jack grinned and leaned down to kiss her stomach.-

"Also a very good morning to you little one." Jack whispered and Jane stroked his hair gently, smiling to herself. She never got tired of these mornings with her little family. As horrible as she was feeling during this pregnancy, Jack and her children could always put a smile on her face. And soon there was going to be another little one to care for. Jane couldn't wait to meet him or her, but was rather worried about how they were going to manage raising a four year old, a two year old and a newborn. At least they would do it together, she thought. 

Jack turned to his daughter.

"Katherine Mary Banks, will you please wash your hands before sitting at the breakfast table?" He said sternly but with a playful tone. 

"Yes father." Katie said obediently and went to wash her hands. 

"Katie, here, take Bert with you, will you?" Jane said and put Albert down next to her.