Chapter 1

-1946-

Jane was lying in her bed, staring at the ceiling. She looked at her alarm clock. "5:04 AM" it said. She sighed. Jack had already left to light the lamps, so she was by herself. She'd gotten rather used to sleeping alone during the war so it wasn't a big difference, but she'd been so happy sleeping in his arms again once he returned.  She still thanked God everyday for Jack's safe return. He came back with a few broken bones but those healed quite quickly and he didn't have any worse injuries. However Jane had noticed he wasn't quite the same. Fighting a war tends to do that to people. It changes them, but Jane already knew he wouldn't be the same when he returned. Of course Jack is still Jack. He hadn't become mean or cruel, because that is just not in Jack's nature. But he was certainly a lot more quiet, and when someone asks him to tell a story which usually made him glow with joy, he now hesitates and says he doesn't know any good stories. 

Jane's thoughts were interrupted by the door to their bedroom opening.

"Mummy?" She heard a quiet voice whisper.

Jane sat up in bed and found her six year old daughter, Winnifred, standing in the door opening. 

"Winnie? What are you doing up so early, honey?" Jane said and gestured for her daughter to climb onto the bed. Once she was up she flew into the arms of her mother.

"I had a bad dream." She cried into Jane's shoulder.

"Oh dear. It's alright sweetheart. It's not real." Jane said and gently stroked Winnie's hair.

"It looked very real." Winnie sobbed.

"Do you want to tell me what it was about?" Jane asked softly, placing Winnie in front of her on the bed and wrapping the blanket around her.

"There was a big, bad wolf, and it wanted to take you away!" She almost screamed.

"Shh... I'm right here honey. No one is going to take me away. Not a wolf, nor a tiger nor a simple man. I'm not going anywhere." Jane said calmly. 

"But he said that you were going to go away just like father did and that we'd have no one left." Winnie said and jumped into Jane's arms for another hug.

Jane was silent for a moment. Winnie had only known her father for a year now and it seems she still wasn't used to him. It always hurt to see Jack desperately trying to connect with his daughter, but she just doesn't trust him. Yet... And if it hurt her then Jane thought it must be agony for Jack. To be a stranger to his own daughter... Jane pushed this thought away quickly to continue comforting Winnie.

"Hey, your father is here now. And so am I. We are not going away ever, do you understand?" Jane asked, facing her daughter with a smile. 

Winnie nodded with a sad smile on her face. 

"Now you need to get back to bed." Jane said.

"Can I sleep here?" Winnie asked, putting on her puppy eyes.

Jane sighed.

"Alright then, at least you won't wake your brother and sister up." Jane grinned and Winnie cheered.

Jane tucked her daughter in and gently stroked the side of her face. 

"Will you sing something for me, mummy? I don't feel tired at all anymore." Winnie asked.

Jane smiled. She knew just the lullaby. 

"Stay awake don't rest your head
Don't lie down upon your bed
While the moon drifts in the skies
Stay awake don't close your eyes
Though the world is fast asleep
Though your pillow soft and deep
You're not sleepy as you seem
Stay awake, don't nod and dream
Stay awake, don't nod and dream"