Chapter 3

Micheal was just coming down the stairs as he saw his older sister storm out of the front door. Jack was about to go after her but Micheal stopped him for a moment.

"Jack, what is all this?" Micheal asked sternly. 

"I've been having a rough day, alright? I'm tired and not in the best mood." Jack said with a defeated look on his face. 

"Yes, I've noticed that." Micheal said, frowning at the Leerie.

"I'm sorry if I've made Georgie upset. I'll talk to him later, and apologize." Jack said, looking at his shoes.

"Good. Now, I don't know what you've said to Jane to make her run out of the house like that but you better make it right." Micheal said. Jack was silent.

"Look Jack, I know you've had a hard time. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like for you out there, but don't you dare forget that she's had it hard as well." And with that Micheal went into the kitchen, where Ellen and the children were. 

"Why is father angry, uncle Micheal?" Albert asked. 

"He's just very tired. He didn't mean anything he said." Micheal said, kneeling down to face his nieces and nephew. 

"Where's mummy?" Little Winnie asked, sniffing slightly. 

"Your mother went out for a quick walk. Don't you worry, she'll be back in no time." Micheal said sweetly, giving Winnie a hug. 

The room was quiet for a moment. 

"Uncle Micheal? What if the three of us go to the park and see if the balloon lady is there? We could buy mother a balloon to cheer her up." Katherine said.

Micheal smiled.

"I think she'd love that! What a great idea." He said.

The children cheered.

When they were all wrapped up in their coats and had their hats on, the children set off for the park. 

_

Jack was running around the park, looking for Jane. Eventually he reached the spot where the Spring Fair was always held. He looked around and saw Jane sitting on the side of the gazebo, where the musicians usually played. Right now it was empty. Even the park itself was completely empty and it gave Jack a bit of an eerie feeling. He walked towards Jane slowly, not wanting to startle her. 

Jane looked behind her and saw Jack walking towards her. She looked down at her hands that were laying calmly on her lap. 

"Hey..." Jack said softly as he reached her.

"Hey." Jane responded simply.

He sat down next to her and studied her face. She didn't seem to be mad anymore. Her eyes were now full of sadness. 

"I'm sorry." He said after a while. She didn't look at him.

"For what?" She asked softly.

"For what just happened. I shouldn't have said those things." Jack said, gently placing his hand on hers. Jane pulled them away quickly, as if his touch had burned her. 

"You've forgotten." She said bitterly.

"Jane... Those days, those happy and carefree days were the best of my life. You know that right?" Jack said, slightly startled by her resistance to hold his hand.

"I thought so. You know, Jack? Ever since you've been back I'd noticed you changed, but I never asked you about it because I didn't want you to be in pain. However I now see I've let it go too far." Jane said.