Chapter Two

"We must know everything, mon maître. Everything."

The living area of the old townhome is small enough that with the entire household in it, it's impossible not to feel cramped. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just fucking overwhelmed. Elijah is finding it hard to vocalize his thoughts, same as me but at least he's trying, whereas I am unable to conceal my desire to be alone with him, get to the details that must be known. Damien and Paris are waiting on him hand and foot, unable to wipe their relief and happiness from their faces.

And I understand their lightheartedness completely, also unable to tear my eyes away from the specimen that still seems like a mirage myself. So many days, so many nights I have wished to hear his true voice, not the mad ravings I induced frequently. To see his face, to smile at him and see him smile back, just one glance would have repaired my heart that seemed irreparably broken.

Yet, here he is, living, a whole man... and it seems like neither of us are prepared to live again.

Elijah stands from the seat they are crowding him on, ending up by the window. He has had enough blood that his features are no longer gaunt or sunken. With the dark sweater he's wearing, tight to his figure, I can't help but remember him from the night we met.

In many ways, he is as foreboding now as he was then. I am scared to speak to him.

Erika smiles, glancing to me anxiously when he doesn't answer right away. "Are the details blurry, Elijah? Maybe you don't remember them..."

"I recall every detail perfectly, Erika," Elijah cuts, his lips forming tight. He looks to her and then to the rest of us. "A sacrifice needed to be made and I made it."

Paris gapes. "They tortured you! They defied reason, all protocols! Those punishments were reserved for only the worst sort of traitors—"

"I am that to them. I am that sort of traitor, Paris. I expected anything, and I knew the outcome would be horrible after Cassandra's reaction to the vision she had in Ireland."

I wring my hands together on my lap. "I saw you in flames. I didn't see them take you out! I didn't see them curse you!"

Damien stomps to his feet. "They must be punished. We must punish them!"

Elijah turns on him sharply. "And how do you suppose we do it? We devote ourselves to ruining them? I may not know my purpose on this earth now, Damien, but I am sure it isn't to exact revenge on vampires who have an entire army behind them!"

Damien huffs, lowering his voice. "We have more than an army."

He means me, and I'm glad he's thought of it. I'm glad they want revenge too.

Elijah glares, perturbed. He inches towards his progeny. "If you mean Cassandra—"

"I have been given these powers for a reason, Elijah," I say calmly. "I don't know why but I know you know that this tribunal is going to get everyone staked in the chest. They are too young to lead. They don't know the customs that you have learned. Look at what they have done already!"

Erika points to the door. "The man in the parlor came here escaping from their hold! He said himself he knew they weren't fit for the roles. Elijah, we must do something or all of us are soon going to be in danger!"

Paris sets down his glass on the glass coffee table abruptly. "Elijah, you have never been a merciful being. You have always exacted revenge whether you deemed it necessary or not. Why are you hesitating? We are all behind you in this!"

The answer comes from him like an explosion. "Because I am barely out of the grave! Because I haven't spent more than an hour with the woman I love! I haven't taken a walk! I haven't even been alone for a goddamn minute to collect my thoughts." He rubs at his eyes with his hand, frustrated. The room comes to a calm quiet, though full of tension. Mostly theirs.