Chapter Sixteen

My hands can still feel the coarse fabric of Elijah's knitted sweater.

His trepid kiss lingers on my cheek, on my quivering lips.

The culmination of the last hour hangs from my skin, a daunting weight that won't be easy to shake away. It was an hour of pure panic, of poor reactions, of stupidity and force.

My eyes are still leaking water which burns my face in the fall.

I don't think there will ever be a way to process what just happened, and part of me desires nothing more than to try and forget it, knowing the obsessing and regret will only torture me further.

We got too close there... too close to destroying everything we've worked so hard to save.

Dazed, my gaze moves around me, eventually landing on the god standing a few feet away. His expression is surprisingly docile, lacking his usual smugness. He actually appears rather intense. He removes his gloved hand from his jacket.

"Well, that certainly escalated, didn't it?"

I don't have it in me to yell, or defend myself, or Elijah. There's a void growing from within me. He isn't swayed whatsoever by my hardened glare.

"I thought for a minute you weren't going to keep your word."

"I was a little fucking busy, wasn't I?"

He presses his mouth together, regretfully and then shifts forward, extending his arm. I look at his outstretched hand, blinking unsurely for a moment before I take it, lifting myself onto my feet.

"You'll wish to be alone then?" His thumb grazes my cheek lightly, swiping dusty residue. I hold still, frowning deeply at his brazenness.

"Will I be alone?"

He smirks at my sarcasm. "Do you think I'd hover over you the entirety of our time together? No. I have duties to attend. You've had a trying day. I will let you rest."

"What's the point? I can't sleep anyways."

"That was on earth. Here in the in-between, we are not so withstanding."

"Really?"

I'm oddly relieved to hear it. Sleep would be welcome right about now.

The thought of endless days with my guard up was a terrifying one.

"Yes, but don't get any ideas. Sleep is a luxury. I will drag you from bed if necessary."

I grimace, pressing my hand to my ribs.

"I had no idea he was so strong," I gasp. "He's never had to use his own force with me."

"Yes, well, your powers are new to you, so your strength will also fluctuate. Still, it is questionable." His eyes flicker to my hand patiently. "May I see?"

"I'm fine. I'm a god. It will heal... right?"

"Yes, doesn't mean that we can't speed up the recovery. Will you let me see?"

I lift my hand hesitantly, tense as he places his own over my bruised ribs. I feel a heat, a comforting radiation to the area, and then it's gone as soon as he removes his hand.

I scoff in amazement, pressing down on the area I couldn't before, feeling no discomfort. "You're saying... I'll be able to do this?"

"Yes, you will. I will teach you."

Tears are still coursing down my cheeks when I smile slightly, my body pained by the discord between worlds, a distance and feeling that reminds me of when Elijah was dead and my body tried to learn how to cope. Tried, being the operative word.