seven

"...and that's the story of how your father and i met." you bounce your gurgling toddler on your lap as your five year old daughter stares at you in awe.

"wow, daddy really did all that?" she asks, eyes sparkling with pure innocence and amazement.

"yes, yes he did." the man himself cuts in with a smile, answering the question for you as he enters the living room. you didn't even know he was home, he must have just arrived from work.

"daddy!" your daughter jumps up from where she sat cross legged on the carpet, running into her father's arms.

he easily picks her up, swinging her around which makes her giggle. "how's my little princess?" he asks, kissing her cheek and ruffling her hair. when she answers with a 'good', he puts her down and walks over to where you are sitting with your two year old son on your lap.

"and how's my big princess?" he teases, pressing a soft kiss to your lips. you roll your eyes, swatting him away playfully. then he picks up your son, blowing raspberries on his face and stomach, which makes him laugh.

dinner is chaotic as usual, with a five year old who complains, picking at her food and a two year old who smothers it all over his face. but you wouldn't have it any other way.

that night, you're putting the kids to bed after a long day. your daughter is out like a light as soon as she hits the mattress, but your son takes a bit more convincing. he whines and cries but eventually dozes off after you sing him a lullaby.

you're about to leave their room, standing in the doorway when you feel a pair of arms wrap around your waist from behind. you sigh, relaxing into your husband's embrace.

"this is beautiful." he says quietly and you turn yourself around in his arms so that you are facing him.

"what is?"

"you. them. everything that we have...it's all so beautiful." he smiles brightly, the exact same smile that you fell in love with.

you wrap your arms around his neck, not being able to help yourself but to press a gentle kiss to his lips. you only hope that you can convey all your emotions through it. "you know i love you, right?" you have to say it, just to make sure. you never want him to forget.

"i know." he pulls you a little closer, pressing his forehead against yours. "i love you too."

it's a story that you will continue to tell your children and grandchildren because it's such a great one. and to think...it all started with one anonymous letter.