Note to Self: Don't Pull a Knife On a Gangster

The next morning, I woke happier than I had been for way too long. I had a job and a new place to live. Sure, working at a diner was a little bit of a step in the wrong direction, but I wouldn't complain about it if it gave me money for food.

Speaking of food...

Following the orders from my stomach, I ambled into my kitchen and searched through my cupboards. Though when I opened up the one closest to me, I stopped.

It was packed full of food. Nice food.

My mouth watered as I read through the labels, most of the meals being ones I could toss in a microwave or on a stove top. Fresh fruit and some veggies were also stuffed inside my mini fridge. When I opened up the drawers and remaining cupboards, I found that all of my dishware, utensils, and random kitchen tools had been replaced with newer, nicer, and most likely more expensive, items.

Stepping back, I gazed over the kitchen, drool nearly falling from my mouth. But I couldn't let my hunger get the best of me. I didn't know who had put them there.

Besides the oddness of the food, there was also a scent I couldn't place. I didn't know if I recognized it.

Had it been Karen? No, it couldn't have been her. I was with her almost the entire time. I wouldn't have noticed her replacing everything in my kitchen.

That left another likely option, one I wasn't thrilled about at all. My insides coiled and copper settled on my tongue. If it had been anyone from the Blackbourne team, then I swore. . .

No longer hungry, I slammed the cupboards shut and left to get ready for the day. I had had a decent meal with Phil yesterday anyway. There wasn't a reason why I couldn't go a little longer without food.

That reminded me, too. I had my first day of work today. Uncle had been kind enough to let me come in whenever I wanted, and I was going to get in as much time as possible.

After brushing my teeth and smoothing my hair into a clip, I sprinted out the door.

Outside, it was still dark, and the nippy weather scratched over my skin. It made me wish for summer. I wanted it to be warm, like the summers back in South Carolina, but I couldn't go back there. I had to stay here and be good.

If I ever returned, I risked everything.

I rode the bus into town along with several other weary passengers. I didn't know why, but I loved mornings. But there was something about the quiet, before everyone woke and the sun started to lighten the sky, that was so peaceful to me. Looking around, many of these people did not share my sentiment.

Exiting the bus at my stop, I quickly made my way down the street until the diner's tower loomed overhead. It really was a magnificent piece of architecture. Whoever came up with the idea to create a diner out of an old church building was super creative.

When I pushed through the stained glass front doors, I gazed around at the already busy diner. There were patrons seated at almost every booth, and exhausted staff members zipped between tables as they took orders or brought out food with forced smiles.

I was still staring around the cafe when the hostess noticed me. "Just one?"

"Oh! I'm actually supposed to start today." Moving out of the way of other guests, I closed the distance to the counter.

She eyed me with interest as she shuffled through some papers. Pulling up a sheet, she nodded. "You're Sing?"

Grimacing, I shook my head. "No, it's Sang."