15. Nicolas Flamel

Y/N's POV

After finishing the chocolate frog, Neville offered me the card he got. I took the card and looked at it, it was Dumbledore. "Hey Harry look, it's the first card you got." I said, talking about the time on the Hogwarts Express when he tried chocolate frogs for the first time.

"That's where I've seen him before!" Harry exclaimed. "I've found him! I've found Flamel! I told you I'd read the name somewhere before, I read it on the train coming here, listen to this: 'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel'!"

Hermione jumped up in delight and I smiled. She hadn't looked so excited since we got back the marks for our very first piece of homework.

"Stay there!" she said, and she sprinted up the stairs to the girls' dormitories. The three of us barely had time to exchange mystified looks before she dashed back, an enormous old book in her arms.

"I never thought to look in here!" she said excitedly. "I got this out of the library weeks ago for a bit of light reading."

"Um 'Mione, that's light reading?" I asked, almost laughing.

"Shut up Y/N." she replied before flipping through the pages frantically. At last, she found the page she was looking for.

"I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!"

"Can we speak yet?" Ron grumbled.

"Nicolas Flamel," I read, peering over Hermione's shoulder and looking at the page she was on, "is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone!"

"The what Stone?" Harry and Ron said together.

"Don't you two ever read." Hermione sighed.

I looked at the page and started reading.

The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The Stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.

There have been many reports of the Philosopher's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight).

Once me, Harry and Ron finished reading, Hermione spoke.

"See? The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone! I bet he asked Dumbledore to keep it safe for him, because they're friends and he knew someone was after it, that's why he wanted the Stone moved out of Gringotts!"

"A Stone that makes gold and stops you from ever dying!" I said. "No wonder Snape's after it! Anyone would want it."

"And no wonder we couldn't find Flamel in that Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry," said Ron, "he's not exactly recent if he's six hundred and sixty-five, is he?"

The next day, we were all sitting in a Defence Against The Dark Arts class taking notes, well I wasn't really paying attention.

"I'm going to play," I told Harry, Ron and Hermione, referring to the Quidditch match Snape was referring, "if I don't, all the Slytherins will think I'm just too scared to face Snape. I'll show them...it'll really wipe the smiles off their faces if we win."

"Just as long as we're not wiping you off the field," said Hermione.

"Aw 'Mione, you care about me." I said with a wink.

She blushed slightly. "Of course I care about you! You're one of my best friends!"

I smiled before turning my head back to Professor Quirrel at the front who was going on about werewolf bites.